Microsoft PowerPoint on a Chromebook
You can open and edit Microsoft PowerPoint presentations using the Google Slides app on your Chromebook.
Open an existing presentation:
Note: You'll need the new version of Google Drive to edit Office files. The new Google Drive is gradually rolling out to all users. If you don't see the option to try the new look, check back again shortly.
- Your Chromebook will automatically update to allow you to edit Office files in the Slides app.
- Click the launcher icon .
- Click the Slides icon to open the Slides editor home screen.
- Click the file you want to open. You can also open Office files from the Files app.
Edit files in Office Compatibility Mode
Once you've opened a file, you can edit it in Office Compatibility Mode. To check if a file is in Office Compatibility Mode, follow the steps below.
- Open the PowerPoint® file you want to edit.
- Click the File menu.
- If you see "Office Compatibility Mode" in the menu, you can edit the file or save it to Google Docs for the ability to work with others.
If you don’t see "Office Compatibility Mode" in the menu, check for the most recent updates on your device.
To learn more about Google Slides, check out the Google Slides getting started guide.
You can also add the Microsoft PowerPoint Online app from the Chrome Web Store.