Use a Chromebook as a kiosk
You can use your Chromebook as a kiosk, like at a guest registration desk or library catalog station, by turning on kiosk mode.
Note: If you're using your Chromebook at work or school and want to use your Chromebook as a kiosk, ask your administrator to go to the Chrome admin panel and change your kiosk settings. If your Chromebook, Chromebase, or Chromebox is from 2017 or later, it won't work in kiosk mode unless it's managed by an administrator.
Before you begin
Before you turn on kiosk mode, make sure to:
- Download a kiosk app from the Chrome Web Store, or create your own
- Check if your Chromebook is managed
Turn on kiosk mode
- If you haven't yet, sign in to your Chromebook.
- Open Chrome .
- In the address bar, type
chrome://extensionsand press Enter.
- Check the box next to Developer Mode.
- Click Manage kiosk applications.
- In the "Add kiosk application" box, enter the ID of the kiosk app you'd like to turn on.
- Click Add.
- Click Done.
Next, open the kiosk app:
- Click the Launcher All Apps.
- Click your kiosk app.
- To set up your kiosk app, follow the steps in the app.
Turn off kiosk mode
- Turn off your Chromebook, then turn it back on.
- While the device is starting up, press Ctrl + Alt + s. Kiosk mode will turn off, and the regular sign-in screen will show.
Learn more about kiosk apps
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.