At the bottom or side of your screen, you'll see a row of apps, called the shelf. You can change which apps are included and bookmark web pages.
Next to your account picture, you can see notifications, check your Chromebook’s battery life, raise or lower the volume or change other settings.
Add, move or remove apps
You can add an app that you often use, to your desktop.
- In the corner of your screen, click the Launcher Up arrow .
- Find the app that you want to add.
- Right-click the app icon.
- Click Pin to Shelf.
When you pin an app to your shelf, the app will stay there until you move or remove it.
To change the position of an app:
- Click and hold the app that you want to move.
- Drag it to a new position.
- Release to put the app in a new spot.
- Right-click the app that you want to remove.
- Click Unpin.
Pin a web page to your desktop
If you often go to the same web page, you might want to pin it to your desktop.
- Open the web page in Chrome.
- Click More Create shortcut.
- To add the shortcut to your shelf, click Create.
Move or hide the row of apps
You can change the position of the row of apps, also called the shelf:
- Right-click the shelf.
- Point to Shelf position.
- Choose where you’d like the shelf to go: on the bottom of the screen (default), or on the left or right side.
To hide the shelf and status area, right-click the shelf and select Auto-hide shelf. When they're hidden, move the pointer to that side of the screen to see your apps, bookmarks and account picture.
To stop hiding the shelf, right-click the shelf and untick Auto-hide shelf.