Customize your desktop
At the bottom or side of your screen, you'll see a row of apps, called the shelf, and your account picture. You can change which apps are included and bookmark webpages.
Next to your account picture, you can see notifications, check your Chromebook’s battery life, raise or lower the volume, or change other settings.
Add, move, or remove apps
You can add an app that you use often to your desktop.
- In the corner of your screen, click the Launcher Up arrow .
- Find the app you want to add.
- Right-click the app icon.
- Click Pin to Shelf.
When you pin an app to your shelf, the app will stay there until you move or remove it.
To change the position of an app:
- Click and hold the app you want to move.
- Drag it to a new position.
- Release to put the app in a new spot.
- Right-click the app you want to remove.
- Click Unpin.
Pin a webpage to your desktop
If you go to the same webpage often, you might want to pin it to your desktop.
- Open the webpage in Chrome.
- Click More Create shortcut.
- To add the shortcut to your shelf, click Create.
Move or hide the row of apps
You can change the position of the row of apps, also called the shelf:
- Right-click the shelf.
- Point to Shelf position.
- Choose where you’d like the shelf to go: on the bottom of the screen (default), or on the left or right side.
To hide the shelf and status area, right-click the shelf and select Autohide shelf. When they're hidden, move the pointer to that side of the screen to see your apps, bookmarks, and account picture.
To stop hiding the shelf, right-click the shelf and uncheck Autohide shelf.
Mel is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.