If your Chromebook has a touchscreen, here are some actions you can take on it:
- Click: Tap where you want to click.
- Right-click: Touch and hold where you want to right-click.
- Scroll: Drag your finger up, down, right, or left.
- Go to a previous page on your browser: To go back, swipe your finger from left to right. To go forward, swipe from right to left.
- Zoom in or out: Touch and hold an area with 2 fingers.
- To zoom in, spread them apart.
- To zoom out, pinch them together.
- Open Launcher: Swipe up from the row of apps at the bottom of the screen.
- Show your row of apps (shelf): Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Hide your row of apps (shelf): Long press on the row of apps on the bottom of the screen.
- View two apps side by side: If you see all your open windows on the screen, drag an app to the left or right to use it next to another app.
Open and close windows and tabs
- Open a new window: In the top-right corner of the window, tap More New window.
- Open a new tab: Next to your open tab, tap New Tab .
- Close window or tab: Swipe down from the top of the screen to see all of your open windows. Then swipe down on a window to close it.
- Reopen a window or tab you closed: At the top, next to a tab, tap and hold. Select Reopen closed tab.
See two windows at the same time
- From the top of the screen, swipe down to see an overview of your windows.
- Drag one of the windows you want to use to the left or right edge of the screen.
- Tap the other window you want to use.
- To adjust the sizes of the two windows, drag the line at the center of the split screen.
- To remove split screen, drag the line at the center of the split screen to either side. Tip: At the bottom right, you can also touch and hold Overview .
Reorder, move, or pin tabs
You can put related tabs together, or move a tab into or out of a window. Also, if there’s a webpage you always want open, like your email, you can make that tab easy to find by pinning it.
- Reorder tabs within the same window: Drag the tab to a different position along the top of the browser window.
- Move a tab into a new window: Drag the tab away from the window.
- Move a tab into another window: From the top of the tab, drag your finger down to split the tab into a new window. Then, from the top of the new window, drag the tab over the window you want to add it to. When you release the tab, it merges with the existing window.
- Move a tab from one split screen window to another: When in split screen, drag the tab away from the window and over to the other half of the screen. It can be added to an existing Chrome window, or become the new split screen window.
- Pin a tab in place: Tap and hold the tab you want to pin to see the menu. Select Pin tab. Pinned tabs appear on the left side of your browser window, and are smaller.
Fix touchscreen problems
If your touchscreen isn't working, try these steps. Test after each step to see whether your touchscreen works.
- Wipe off any dust or dirt on your touchscreen.
- Reset your Chromebook hardware.
- Reset your Chromebook to factory settings.
If these steps don't fix the problem, contact your Chromebook manufacturer.