Add apps and extensions
You can find resources for your Chromebook at the Chrome Web Store. There, you’ll find both apps and extensions developed by Google and other web developers. It takes mere seconds to add items to your Chromebook and you don’t have to deal with any complicated installation process. Your apps can be found in your apps list, while extensions normally appear in the browser window.
Follow these steps to explore the Chrome Web Store:
- Visit the Chrome Web Store by clicking the icon on your new tab page or apps list. You may also visit the store by typing "http://chrome.google.com/webstore" into the omnibox.
- Once you’re in the store, browse or search for the item you’d like to add. The store contains both free and paid items.
- If an item is free, click Add to Chrome on its details page to add it to your account.
- If you’re adding an extension, review the types of data that the extension will be able to access. Click Install in the dialog to grant the extension access to the data described.
Added apps automatically appear on your apps list. Most extensions show up in the browser window as buttons on the browser toolbar.
Tips for managing your added items
- Sync your apps and extensions to your account, in order to find them on other computers where you’re signed in to Chrome.
- Pin the apps you use most often to the launcher at the bottom of the screen for easy access. To pin an app, right-click the app (or click with two fingers on a Chromebook) from the apps list and select Pin to Launcher. You can access all your windows or tabs for each app by clicking on its icon. (If an app has more than one window or tab open, it will focus on the one you used most recently and show a list of all of the windows or tabs this app owns.)
- Some extensions may have additional settings that you can edit. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and go to Tools > Extensions to find these options. Here, you can also adjust whether you want your extension to be available in incognito windows.
- Adjust the order of extension buttons in the browser window or in your apps list by clicking and dragging to move them around.
- See more information about purchasing apps at the Chrome Web Store Help Center.
- Learn more about the different types of data that extensions may access.
- Learn more about syncing your apps and extensions to your account.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.