Add apps and extensions
You can add apps and extensions to give your Chromebook more features and functionality. To add an app or extension:
- Open the Chrome Web Store.
- From your Chromebook, click the launcher , then click the Web Store icon .
- In the left column, click Apps or Extensions.
- Browse or search for what you'd like to add. The store contains both free and paid items.
- Click Add to Chrome (if free) or Buy (if paid).
- If you're adding an extension:
- Review the types of data that the extension will be able to access.
- Click Install.
You'll see your apps in your launcher, and your extensions in your browser window as buttons on the toolbar.
Note: You can't add apps or extensions if you're browsing as a guest.
How apps and extensions work
Apps and extensions work like regular programs for desktop computers, but they run entirely in the Chrome browser. You don't need to install software or restart your computer.
Manage apps and extensions
- Sync your apps and extensions so you'll see them anywhere you sign in to Chrome.
- Pin apps to your shelf for easy access.
- Manage your extension settings by clicking More and going to More tools > Extensions.
- Learn how to uninstall an app or extension.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.