If you step away from your Chromebook, we recommend that you lock your screen for extra security.
Lock your screen
Use one of these options:
- On a keyboard: Press Search + L. Or press Launcher + L.
- At the bottom right, select the time. Select Lock .
- In Chromebook settings :
- Select Security and privacy Lock screen.
- Turn on Lock when sleeping or the lid is closed.
After a while, the screen will turn off to save power.
- Plugged in: The screen will turn off in eight minutes. Your Chromebook will go to sleep in 30 minutes.
- Not plugged in: The screen will turn off in six minutes. Your Chromebook will go to sleep in 10 minutes.
Unlock your screen faster with a PIN
Before you lock your screen, you can create a PIN to unlock your screen. If you use an account for work or school, your admin might require you to enter your password occasionally. On some Chromebooks, you can also use your PIN instead of your Google Account password to sign in.
To set up a PIN:
- On your Chromebook, at the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- Under 'Security and privacy', select Lock screen and sign in.
- Enter your password and select Confirm.
- Select PIN or password Set up PIN.
- Enter a PIN of six digits or more and select Continue.
- Re-enter your PIN and select Confirm.