Lock or unlock your screen
If you step away from your Chromebook, we recommend locking your screen for extra security.
Lock your screen
Use one of these options:
- Press Search + L.
- Click your account photo, then click Lock .
Note: After a while, the screen will turn off to save power.
- If your Chromebook is plugged in when you lock it, the screen will turn off in 8 minutes (and your Chromebook will go to sleep in 30 minutes).
- If it isn't plugged in when you lock it, the screen will turn off in 6 minutes (and your Chromebook will go to sleep in 10 minutes).
Unlock your screen
When your screen is locked, you can unlock it by signing in with your Google Account password.
Unlock your screen with a PIN
Note: If you’re on a Chromebook at work or school, you can’t add a PIN.
- Click your account photo.
- Click Settings .
- In the "People" section, click Screen lock.
- Type your password, then click Confirm.
- Click PIN or password.
- Click Set up PIN.
- Type a PIN of six digits or more, then click Continue.
- Re-enter your PIN, then click Confirm.
- When you lock your screen, you can enter either your PIN or Google Account password to unlock.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.