If you step away from your Chromebook, we recommend locking your screen for extra security.
Lock your screen
Use one of these options:
- On a keyboard: Press Search + L.
- At the bottom right, select the time. Select Lock .
After a while, the screen will turn off to save power.
- Plugged in: The screen will turn off in 8 minutes. Your Chromebook will go to sleep in 30 minutes.
- Not plugged in: The screen will turn off in 6 minutes. Your Chromebook will go to sleep in 10 minutes.
Unlock your screen faster with a PIN
Before you lock your screen, you can create a PIN to unlock your screen. If you use a PIN, you may need to enter your Google Account password once every 24 hours. On some Chromebooks, you can also use your PIN instead of your password to sign in.
Note: If you’re on a Chromebook at work or school, you can’t add a PIN.
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- In the "People" section, select Screen lock.
- Enter your password, and then select Confirm.
- Select PIN or password Set up PIN.
- Enter a PIN of six digits or more, and then select Continue.
- Re-enter your PIN, and then select Confirm.
Unlock your screen
To unlock your Chromebook, sign in with your Google Account password or enter your PIN.