Connect to Bluetooth devices
Bluetooth technology lets you connect devices wirelessly over short distances. To use Bluetooth accessories with your Chromebook, first check if your Chromebook supports Bluetooth. You’ll then need to pair it with the accessory.
Check if your Chromebook supports Bluetooth
To see if you can use Bluetooth accessories with your Chromebook, click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears. If you see the Bluetooth icon or in the menu, your Chromebook supports Bluetooth. If you don’t see either of these icons, your Chromebook doesn’t support Bluetooth.
If your Chromebook supports Bluetooth, it can connect to a wide range of Bluetooth accessories, including the following:
- Headsets (audio only)
Pair a Bluetooth device with your Chromebook
To connect a Bluetooth device with your Chromebook, you’ll need to pair them. Here’s how:
- Sign in to your Chromebook.
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
- Select your Bluetooth status in the menu that appears.
- If Bluetooth is disconnected, click the disconnected icon or click Enable Bluetooth in the menu. Your Chromebook will automatically begin scanning for available Bluetooth devices.
- Pick the device that you want to add from the list of available Bluetooth devices and click Connect.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to connect your Bluetooth device.
- If you're connecting a mouse, no PIN is normally required. If you're prompted for a PIN, enter the PIN for your mouse using your Chrome device's keyboard.
- If you're connecting a keyboard, enter the randomly generated PIN on the keyboard that you wish to pair and press Enter.
To confirm that your Bluetooth device is connected, check the Bluetooth status. You should see your device listed there.
Just got your Chromebook? If you’re turning on your Chromebook for the first time and you have a Bluetooth device nearby that’s also turned on, your Chromebook may automatically detect the device and show you steps to pair it. You’ll see these instructions only if your Chromebook doesn't already have a similar device connected or its functionality isn't built in, like a keyboard or trackpad.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.