Multitask with windows & tabs
You can finish tasks faster by reorganising and moving your windows and tabs.
Switch between windows quickly
Press & hold Alt, then tap Tab until you get to the window that you want to open.
See two windows at the same time
- On one of the windows that you want to see, click and hold Maximise .
- Drag to the left or right arrow .
- Repeat for a second window.
Tip: You can also use the shortcut Alt + [ to move left, or Alt + ] to move right.
Open & close windows and tabs
- Open a new window: Press Ctrl + n
- Open a new tab: Press Ctrl + t
- Close window or tab: At the top-right, click Close
- Reopen a window or tab that you closed: Press Ctrl + Shift + t
Change window size
- View full screen: At the top of your keyboard, press Full screen (or F4).
- Maximise window: At the top-right, click Maximise .
- Minimise window: At the top-right, click Minimise .
Reorder, move or pin tabs
You can put related tabs together, or move a tab into or out of a window. Also, if there’s a web page that you always want open, like your email, you can make that tab easy to find by pinning it.
- Reorder tabs within the same window: Drag the tab to different position along the top of the browser window.
- Move a tab into a new window: Click and drag the tab away from the window. You can make the tab into its own window, or drag it into another window.
- Pin a tab in place: Right-click the tab and select Pin tab. A pinned tab will appear on the left side of your browser window, and will be smaller.
Find out more
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.