Manage windows and tabs
You can control the way windows and tabs show up on the screen by changing their size and how they’re organized.
Open a new window
After you sign in to your Chromebook, click the Chrome icon on the shelf at the bottom of your screen to open a new browser window.
To open a new tab, click the new tab icon at the top of the window.
Switch between windows: Press the switch window key at the top of your keyboard.
Maximize or dock windows: Use the window control icon at the top right corner of the window.
- To maximize, click the icon once.
- To dock the window to the left or right (for a split-screen effect), click and hold the icon, then use the left and right dock arrows.
- To view a window full-screen (without browser controls), press the full screen key.
Minimize: Click the minimize icon.
Reorder tabs: Click and drag a tab and drag it to a different position in the window.
Pin tabs: If you have a lot of tabs open, you can pin them so they take up less space.
- To pin a tab, right-click the tab and select Pin tab.
- To unpin a tab, right-click the tab and select Unpin tab.
Move tabs into new windows: Click and drag a tab down, then move it to the top of the window you want to add it to.
To manage your tabs and windows with your keyboard, take a look at the full list of keyboard shortcuts.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.