Set background wallpaper
You can personalize your Chromebook with a custom wallpaper for your desktop.
Note: If you use your Chromebook at work or school, your administrator might not let you change your wallpaper.
Choose background wallpaper
Use wallpaper from Chromebook
- Right-click your desktop and select Set wallpaper.
- Click one of the images to set your wallpaper. You can also get a randomly selected image by checking the box next to Surprise me.
Use a custom wallpaper
- Download an image from the web that you’d like as your wallpaper. Make sure the image is a .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, or .webp file.
- Click the Launcher All Apps.
- Select Files .
- In the left column, click Downloads.
- Right-click the image you want as your wallpaper, then click Set wallpaper.
Use the same wallpaper across multiple Chromebooks
- On your Chromebook, click the status area, where your account picture appears.
- Click Settings .
- In the "People" section, click Advanced sync settings.
- In the box that opens, click the drop-down menu.
- To use all the same settings (including wallpaper) on every Chromebook you sign in to, choose Sync everything.
- To use only some of the same settings, choose Choose what to sync. Then check the box for Themes & wallpapers.
- Click OK.
If you're having trouble setting your wallpaper, make sure the image is in a supported format, like .png or .jpg. See a list of files that work on Chromebooks.
If you're at work or school, your administrator might not let you change the wallpaper. For more help, contact your administrator.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.