Choose your privacy settings
You can improve your browsing experience using web services. For example, Chrome can use a web service to automatically offer completions for search terms or website addresses you type in the address bar.
Most of these settings are turned on by default, but you can choose which you'd like on or off.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app .
- To the right of the address bar, tap More Settings.
- Under "Advanced," tap Privacy.
- Tap the feature you want to update:
- Navigation error suggestions: If a page isn't loading, Chrome can show other suggestions for the page you were trying to reach.
- Search and site suggestions: You can have Chrome use a prediction service to show you related searches, matches from your browsing history, and popular websites as you type in the address bar.
- Security reports: You can have Chrome automatically send details of possible security issues to Google to keep you and others safer in the future.
- Safe Browsing: You can turn on Safe Browsing technology to protect you from malware and phishing attacks.
- Automatically download pages: Chrome can look up the addresses of all links on a webpage in advance, so that any links you click on the webpage will load faster. Websites can also preload the links that you might click next.
- Usage and crash reports: Let Google Chrome send Google usage statistics and crash reports.
- "Do Not Track": You can include a "Do Not Track" request with your browsing traffic. However, the effect depends on whether a website responds to the request. Many websites will still collect and use your browsing data.
- Touch to Search: When you highlight words in Chrome, you'll see search results about the highlighted words at the bottom of the page.
- Physical Web: Objects around you that are part of the Physical Web send Bluetooth signals to your phone. With Chrome, your device can pick up these signals and show you a list of webpages that might interest you.
- Clear browsing data: You have control over your browsing data, including your browsing history and saved form entries. You can clear all browsing data or just some from a specific period of time.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.