Stable, beta, and development channels
Before any software changes make it into the official stable version of the operating system, they're tested in the beta and development versions of the system, which are the experimental channels of Chrome OS. If you have owner permissions, you can switch to these channels to test these latest features and fixes.
To see which channel you're currently using, click the Chrome menu and select Settings > Help. Your channel is listed after your version.
How to switch channels
- Sign in to your Chromebook with the account that has been designated as the owner.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Help on the "Chrome OS" page that appears.
- Click the "More info..." link.
- Select the channel you'd like to use from the Change channel dialog box that appears.
If you're using a managed device and choose to revert from a more experimental OS version to a more stable one, the change will be applied when the more stable version matches the version installed on the device, and does not require a powerwash.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.