Choose keyboard input methods
If there’s more than one standard way to type in your language, you’ll want to make sure you choose the keyboard input method that works best for you. By adjusting your keyboard input method, you can also add accent marks, insert currency symbols, and use other special characters. You'll also be able to specify multiple language preferences in order to type in multiple languages. Once you’ve set your preferences, you can easily switch between languages for your keyboard via the status area.
Set your keyboard input methods
- If you haven’t already, sign in to your Chromebook.
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
- Select Settings.
- Click the Show advanced settings link.
- In the “Languages” section, click Language and input settings.
- If the language you want to use isn't already listed, click Add and select the language you want to use.
- Select the checkboxes next to the input methods you want to use.
- Click OK.
To quickly see the list of input methods you’ve enabled, click the status area in the lower-right corner and select the keyboard language from the menu that appears.
Switch between input methods
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Select the keyboard language from the menu that appears.
- Choose the input method you want to use from the list that appears.
If you have more than one input method enabled, then the keyboard language you’re using will appear in the status area. That way, you can always tell which language you’re using.
- Press Alt+Shift to switch between different input methods.
- Press Ctrl and space to switch to your previous input method.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.