Monitor mobile data usage
To check how much data you've used, contact your mobile carrier. If you're using a SIM card, you can further control how much data is used by locking your SIM card with a PIN.
See how much data you have remaining
If you're using Verizon Wireless in the U.S., go to your Verizon Wireless account to see the estimated amount of data you have remaining for the month. For all other mobile networks, contact your mobile carrier to see how much data you've used on your SIM card.
Here are the steps to access your Verizon account:
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
- Select Settings and find the “Internet Connection” section.
- Click Mobile data.
- Select Network options (this option only appears if Verizon is activated).
- In the dialog that appears, click View account to log in to your Verizon Wireless account.
Lock your SIM card
If you're using a SIM card with your Chromebook, you can lock the card at any time to prevent others from accidentally using up your mobile data. Follow these steps to lock your card or change its personal identification number (PIN):
- Click the network icon in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Make sure you're connected to the mobile network. Once you're connected, click its name in the network menu.
- In the dialog that appears, click the Security tab.
- Select the "Lock SIM card" checkbox to require a PIN. To set a custom PIN, select Change PIN.
The next time you connect to the mobile network, you’ll need to provide the PIN. Some SIM cards also ask for a PIN provided by your mobile carrier on first use.
Contact your mobile carrier if you forget the PIN or if you see a message asking for a PIN Unlocking Code. If you enter the wrong Unlocking Code twice, the SIM card will be disabled.
- If you have more questions about your mobile data, contact your mobile carrier.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.