Browse as a guest
Guest browsing is a feature that lets you share your Chromebook with friends and family while keeping your own account information safe and secure.
To start a guest browsing session, select Browse as Guest from the launcher. When you’re browsing as a guest, you can browse the web and download files as usual, though you won’t be able to install apps unless you sign in to the Chromebook with a Google Account.
To end a guest browsing session, select Exit guest (or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Q) to end your guest session. Your browsing data won’t be saved, but keep in mind that some websites may still have records of your visit.
Enable or disable guest browsing
Guest browsing is enabled by default. If you are the owner of the Chromebook, you can turn this feature on or off by following the steps below:
- Sign in to the Chromebook owner’s Google Account.
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your picture appears.
- Select Settings and find the "Users" section.
- Click Manage other users.
- Check or uncheck the "Enable guest browsing" checkbox to control the feature.
Using a Chromebook at work or school? Your network administrator might disable guest browsing, in which case you won't be able to use this feature. Learn about using a managed Chromebook.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.