Connect to a wired network
If your Chromebook has an Ethernet port, you can connect to a local network by plugging in an Ethernet cable. Your Chromebook will use a wired connection to access the Internet whenever possible.
On some Chromebooks, you may need to first plug the cable into a USB Ethernet adapter, then insert the adapter into the USB port on the device. Consult the help pages provided by your Chromebook manufacturer to see where ports are located on your device.
Check connection status
Click the status area to quickly check the state of your connection.
|You're connected to the network.|
|You're not connected to the network.|
Find the Media Access Control (MAC) address
Some administrators restrict network access to prevent outsiders from accessing private information within the network. Devices that are allowed to access the network are identified by their Media Access Control address (MAC address, for short). This ID is also sometimes called the hardware address.
If you need to find your device's MAC address, follow these steps:
- Click the network icon in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- Select your network status from the menu that appears.
- In the network menu that appears, click the "i" icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Your device's MAC address is listed in the message that appears (e.g. 00:25:D3:39:EC:66).
To set up static IP and DNS parameters, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your Chromebook and ensure that it's connected to the Ethernet.
- Click the status area in the lower right corner of the screen, then click the connected network. (Alternatively, you can navigate to the connected network from the Settings page.)
- In the window that appears, deselect the "Configure automatically" checkbox. This will allow you to change and save static IP and DNS parameters.
- Learn about managing networks
- Having problems connecting to a network? Troubleshoot your connection issues
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.