Manage background pages and apps
Background apps work entirely in the background and run even after you close the Chrome browser.
Background pages and apps use your computer's resources. You can check to see how much they're using, and you can turn them off at any time.
Turn off background pages
To check your background pages and turn them off, follow these steps:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More .
- Click More tools Task manager.
- In the first column, look for items labeled "Background Page." You can see its details in the other columns.
- Select the background page you want to turn off and click End Process.
Turn off background apps
When a background app is running, you'll see a Chrome icon in your computer's system tray.
- On Windows, it's at the bottom right of your desktop.
- On Mac, it's in your dock.
To see a list of running background apps, right-click the icon.Mac
To turn off background apps, you'll need to quit Chrome completely:
- At the top of your computer screen, click Chrome.
- Click Quit Google Chrome.
To close background apps when you close all Chrome tabs, follow these steps:
- In Chrome, at the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
- In the "System" section, uncheck the box next to "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed."