Open an app
This article applies to Google Chrome on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome OS.
Ways to open apps
- Open apps you've added from the Chrome Web Store by clicking the Apps bookmark in the bookmarks bar. If you don't see the Apps bookmark, right-click on the bookmarks bar and click Show Apps Shortcut.
- Find the item in the store at chrome.google.com/webstore, and click on the Launch app button.
- If your app is hosted at a standard web URL, you can also go directly to its web address to open the app.
Choose how apps should open
To change how an app should be opened, right-click the app icon and select "Open as a regular tab", "Open as a pinned tab", "Open as window", or "Open in full screen". For additional settings, right-click the app and select "Options".
- Click the icon at the top of the browser window to open the New Tab page.
- Right-click your app's icon in the Apps section.
- Select an option from the menu that appears.
Using apps in other browsers
Apps that are hosted entirely online can also be used in any modern browser.
To determine whether the app can be opened outside of Google Chrome, click the app’s icon on the New Tab page and look at the resulting URL in the address bar:
- If the URL starts with “chrome://”, that means the app isn’t available outside of Google Chrome because it relies on certain Google Chrome features and permissions to work properly.
- If the URL is a standard web URL (i.e. it starts with “http://”), that means you can use the app in other browsers. Simply go to the same URL in another browser to open the app.
How apps identify you
When you open an app in Chrome, the app may request permission to identify you either through your Google account or through a non-Google provider. This is being done through an open protocol called OAuth2 that allows secure and simple authorization.
A new dialogue window will open and the app will request permission to access specific data. You can choose to deny the app access to your information, but please note that some aspects of the app that may require your data may not work as intended. By using this authorization process, the app you are using will have access to the requested data while your account credentials are kept secure. The app will not have access to your username or password of the provider used for authentication.