/chrome/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Why does chrome keep switching between windows by itself? 1 Recommended Answer 91 Replies 302 Upvotes
1 Update
$0 Updates
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
I have multiple windows of chrome open, each with a couple tabs. Occasionally, when I am using one of the windows or using another app, chrome switches to one of the unused windows by itself. Sometimes it won't switch, but I can see that it tries to switch because the chrome icon in my windows task bar glows orange, like it does when it prompts me to do something. However, as far as I can tell there isn't anything for me to do on the page it opened up. At first, I thought it was doing it whenever google docs/sheets was saving, but then it started happened with other pages as well. 

Does anyone know why it is doing this or how to fix it? It is very annoying. 

I am running windows 10 and chrome is up to date (Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit))
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (91)
Relevant Answer
I'm seeing the same issue on a Mac as well, it started happening for me a couple weeks ago.  Basically it seems like Chrome keeps hijacking the "active window" and forcing switching back.  I have to click on the desired active window (not chrome) like 4 - 5 times to get it to stop and stay on the active window instead of chrome.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same with me, noticed it a while ago too, but it's started getting worse and more insistent over the last 2 weeks or so. I'm on OSX, so it's not Windows-specific.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Had this once today, and experienced that several times before but not with a regularity that bothers me (hence why I tend to forget about the issue).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happening non-stop to me too. Started a few weeks ago. Tried deleting extensions to no avail.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same with me. I'm using Linux. It's really annoying.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. I'm on a Mac. It randomly switches between Chrome windows. Not tab specific, just windows. One window is using one Google account (work related), the other window is using my personal account.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same. Just having two windows open on my surface and I'm watching things on full screen and it suddenly switches windows for no reason. I thought it was my extension causing this problem but now I'm not too sure
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. When typing in a Word document, the active window is suddenly taken over by Chrome. This is very frustrating. I'm using macOS High Sierra.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same thing is happening to me on Windows 10. I'm working with Office and Chrome suddenly jumps to the top for no apparent reason. To my knowledge, there is no other instance where the Chrome window suddenly gets to be active window otherwise. Only Chrome notifcations that appear on top of other apps.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happening to me on a Mac using Mojave. Started a few weeks ago. Hoping we find a solution. Super annoying.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue on a mac. Just started today.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also on a Mac with Mojave using Chrome (v76.0.3809.100). This started about a month ago when I was on Sierra (Mac) and an earlier version of Chrome. The updates didn't alleviate the issue.

...If it weren't for my office, I'd never use Chrome.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue, had it for couple of weeks but fort past few days I can't go 5mins without chrome switching windows for no reason
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same, only on my Mac. On my PC it isn't happening.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Getting this on my Mac as well, keeps switching to Chrome.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happening to me too. I think I might need to switch browsers; this is incredibly intrusive and annoying.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
On a Mac. I have my personal Google account open in one window and work account in another. While working in one, Chrome switches me to the other. I have to manually click back to the window where I was at. Frustrating. 

Started last week.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. I'll be in another app and then all of a sudden, I get switched to Chrome. Extremely frustrating. Google needs to fix this asap.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not first time it happened, but I was on facebook playing candy crush and out of no where the chrome://aapps popped up.  I use a macOS Mojave.  There are so many things I don't like about chrome so if this continues I'll be moving on...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have also had this happening the last few weeks on my MacBook Air. Chrome will automatically place itself in front of other applications that I pull up (Word, PDF document, Spotify, etc...)

I have not been able to find a place that addresses this issue and it is quite frustrating to work with.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also got this on Mac...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here. Ongoing for the last couple/few months. VERY annoying. Has switched windows to my personal email while sharing screen on work conference calls which looks very unprofessional.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This has been happening on my Mac for the past week or so.  Very frustrating.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Add me to the list of people this happens to. On a Mac. There doesn't seem to be an obvious pattern re: specific tabs or window. 

I have two monitors and keep a different chrome window in each -- sometimes it goes to one monitor, sometimes the other.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same problem on a MBP. Can we get a fix Google?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I was able to get it to stop by disabling all extensions that aren't needed, I haven't went back and figured out which one is causing the issue.  But for now it's not doing it anymore.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you're running the Great Suspender extension, that's your culprit.  There's an issue open for it on the Great Suspender's GitHub page but I'm not allowed to link to it here.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Upon doing research on this, it seems that Chrome does not autoupdate the great suspender plugin. There is a fix in version 7.1. See if manually uninstalling the plugin and then installing again helps.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This appears to be an issue with the Great Suspender. Uninstalling and reinstalling fix the problem for me.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Brian - thanks so much. I wasn't clear on what the common thread between people posting things here was. I went through my extensions and removed non-essential ones - but this didn't include the great suspender.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also have this issue on OS X. Glad to see it's not just me; hopefully it will be fixed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here. I'll be in another app like Powerpoint and Chrome just keeps popping into the foreground randomly. It's very annoying.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue for me as well, Mac, running 10.14.6 (18G87) and Chrome 76.0.3809.100 (64-bit)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
One more for the pile, also on OSX. This is intensely annoying and I'm switching back to Firefox until Google releases a fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yep, same here on a Mac. Chrome will hijack the active window at random now.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So I can see this is happening to lots of folks.  C'mon Google, get this fixed.  VERY annoying!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's not Google/Chrome it's the Great Suspender extension. Remove and reinstall (or just remove.)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It is the great suspender, BUT REMEMBER TO UNSUSPEND ALL TABS BEFORE REMOVING! I didn't do this and had to dig through my history to find everything.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is happening to me too on Windows 10.  I don't have the "Great Suspender" extension, so that can't be the culprit on my end.  This started happening about 2 days ago.  The only change I've made to my system was installing a new monitor.  But only Chrome shifts, nothing else.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I was getting crazy because I could not be 100% sure that this was not caused by a malware. Now, at least, I know it's 100% a Chrome issue.
Thank you for starting up this thread.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also having this issue. How has nobody addressed this yet? I've been noticing this for about three days. Just now it basically refused to let me work in another window. It's driving me crazy.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ditto here. I'm not sure if it decides to focus on a window that just has some new activity or something but it's quite annoying, especially if I'm typing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm seeing this on my Mac as well.  I'll either see Chrome switch windows or, if I'm in another app (such as Terminal), Chrome will spontaneously foreground itself.  That's very annoying, as spontaneous foregrounding should never happen for an app.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Agree - very bad issue that coincided with last Chrome update.  Especially when typing and it switches to another doc, overwriting info, deleting, etc.  Really great when you're typing confidential info.  Can we get an update from Google here?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here, cannot find a fix.

If someone does, please email me the solution: cole@pivotal-agency.com, I'll be sure to post it here if I find it first.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issue here. Super annoying, it was actually the reason why I switched to Safari a couple of months ago. Came back to chrome and having the same problem.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
SOLUTION: Like a few others mentioned above. The solution was that the great suspender extension was causing this issue. Uninstall it.
marked this as an answer
💡Entrepreneur (2M users)| 💻Full Stack Developer | 🎨UX Engineer + Designer
Relevant Answer
Hi there,

Do you use any Chrome extensions in the background?

Thanks,
Stefan
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi - Yes, I use a number of extensions.  Is that what's causing the issue?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi all,

I'm posting the same as I did in this thread: tab focus switches randomly

External mouse:
If you have an external mouse disconnect and reconnect it. That may help. If it doesn't, unplug the mouse if the automatic tab switching occurs and see if it stops.

Tab manager (extensions)
In case you use tab managers, the Great Suspender (@John Adams 6485: it's on your list too), or other extensions, disable them for a while or use incognito mode [ctrl + shift + N]. If the problems doesn't re-occur, you know it's one of your extensions that's malfunctioning.

Flag:
In addition, you can try disabling this flag (copy and paste it into the address bar):
chrome://flags/#proactive-tab-freeze-and-discard

Just an FYI: did you know you can scroll tabs while pointing at a tab and holding [shift]?

Cor
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
As suggested by a few, I removed The Great Suspender and then re-installed it, and things seem to be back to normal again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thankfully I'm not the only one. 

I'm trying uninstalling The Great Suspender and see if this will help.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am also having this issue
chrome: Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am using great suspender. Someone in a previous post mentioned testing disabling the addon. Was that successful for you?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So, it seems we all have this in common - started recently, happens with chrome on mac or win (another window popped up again just as I was writing that), and is maddening to a degree that I either want to throw my computer out the window or move entirely to Safari. 

Question - do many or all of you have the extension The Great Suspender? There was a problem that came up earlier this year that was connected with that extension. I just can't remember what. But, do you have that extension?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I do have The Great Suspender extension on Chrome and I am experiencing this problem. Started a few weeks ago and still going.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happening to me as well, on mac running Mojave 10.14.6, Chrome version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit). Glad to know I'm not the only one - it has become the most disruptive part of my day, for almost three weeks. 

How do we escalate this bug?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happening to me as well, on Windows 10 64bit version.

How do we escalate this?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ditto. Started a couple of weeks ago and is getting worse by the day ! If this continues I'll have to go back to Safari.  On iMac.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm experiencing the same thing on mac. At first I thought it was because I was using Jupyter notebooks, but it happens regardless of whether I have those running or not. It would be great to get a solution to this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem. It started happening a week ago and happens on both Mac and Windows. While I am using VS Code it regularly switches to Chrome by itself. Supper annoying.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The Great Suspender was definitely the problem; for some reason it wasn't updating: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=994057

It finally updated itself automatically yesterday. I don't think it was a coincidence, someone must have fixed the issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks @Richard!

To everyone: update the Great Suspender to version 7.1.0 or just disable/remove it. If you want help, let me know if you did that.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks I will try that.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
After reading the replies here that point to the Great Suspender, I've re-installed that extension and will see whether I continue to have the same issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Chorme to active google
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/chrome/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic