/chrome/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
How to restore an accidentally deleted chrome profile
Hi all, I was quickly maneuvering through my browser trying to do some work and I somehow accidentally created a second chrome profile - not knowing about what chrome profiles were, I deleted BOTH the one I had just created, and the original chrome profile which had my bookmarks / passwords saved. (Deleted on 7/1/2021, around 11:30a EST - it wasn't until after lunch ~1p that I realized what I did). I've tried to look at the user data for the original profiles, but I can't find the folder (Except now I've created and deleted so many profiles that now I only have it for "user 6"). When I right click chrome on the desktop, then click on 'restore previous versions' there are no versions listed or available. I would really love to be able to restore it back, but I can't find the files anywhere. Anyone else experience this? I suppose I can recreate the bookmarks and reset my passwords - but I wish I could just undo!!!!! Thanks in advance
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
To all the users in this thread, you could try this set of steps as a last resort.  Just make sure to show hidden files and folders from the 'Folder Options' area in Windows Explorer:

HOW TO RESTORE DELETED DEFAULT USER PROFILE IN GOOGLE CHROME

1. Go to C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\
2. Copy the folder named <Default> on your Desktop
3. Uninstall Google Chrome and then delete folder <Google> from C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\

4. Download and install Google Chrome again

5. Now go to C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\ and replace the new <Default> folder there with the one from your Desktop

6. Load Google Chrome and everything -should- be restored
marked this as an answer
All Replies (36)
Volunteer since 2011 (not a Google employee)
Relevant Answer
Hi Caroline,

There's no way to undo that I'm afraid. Deleted profiles are permanently deleted.

Edit: In other words, there is no supported setting or feature to undo. Your mileage may vary with the solutions being suggested here.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Nooooooo. I am having the same issue. Chrome must have done an automatic update recently on my computer, and all of a sudden, it was 10x harder to switch between my multiple Gmail accounts. I had multiple user profiles, and so I deleted them all without any idea of the consequences. Is there a way I can restore them from Gmail?? The Chrome profiles seem to be attached to my email accounts somehow. Please help!! Years of really important bookmarks that I need ASAP!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
David, I did the same thing on Sunday July 11, but ti restored the "default' file in google chrome that got deleted. got it from carbonite. but now I don't know how to reconnect it up again. Is there a way to do tat. I just paid someone to figure it all out and he didn't know how to do it. so i'm left with nothing. How can I hook up my old version back to a profile?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same. At first, I just want to make profile pic on my chrome on the taskbar disappeared so I watched youtube and try to search it in google chrome help. Some of them said delete the account so I know that it's not gonna only delete the profile pic on the chrome but DELETE it. After many time I search and still couldn't find it so I just try to delete it. So after the first acc's profile pic "disappeared", Then my second acc profile pic appeared. Then I delete it too. And now I just made my problems WORSE. The chrome got reset, when I touch the chrome button on taskbar, It open a new chrome and ALL my works, bookmarks and more are GONE. I am crying right now. Ofc I can just sign in to my acc on reseted chrome and just add back my bookmarks and wallpaper BUT the bookmarks are the problem. They are so hard to find. Almost all of them can only find ONCE. Pleaseeeeee. I am crying so much right now T⁔T
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem! You'd think that with such a impounding feature Google would at least send some sort of notice, or info card to let us know! Now we're all just suffering the consequences! It's very disheartening.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I could actually cry. I've deleted masses of bookmarks/passwords/logins/resources that I use ALL THE TIME and have amassed over the past 18 months of having to adapt between working between home and the office. 

This ridiculous new thing with making you make every email address a 'profile' now. I ended up somehow using a secondary email address on my 'original profile' and have now deleted what I thought was a duplicate. Like another poster says - no confirmation or warning box and no way to retrieve? Poor show Google. 

18 months of gathered resources, gone. 

So angry.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Another unhappy customer. Same thing - I have deleted my Person 1 totally unavare that it holds all my passwords to the sites I frequently use and bookmarks collected during the last 4 years . I had no idea and there was no worning no nothing. Very disappointing to say the least. 

@david.king is there any way for you to raise it with google chrome?
marked this as an answer
Volunteer since 2011 (not a Google employee)
Relevant Answer
This is a mostly a user to user community, therefore if this is important to you, I’d encourage you to also send this feedback directly to Google. You will not receive a response, unless Google need more details from you, however the team are still reading the feedback.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have to say I am really pissed off at Google Chrome now.
First, Chrome created multiple new Chrome profiles for the same ID for reasons I don't understand. Then I carefully selected first one and then the other new Chrome profiles and deleted them... but there was a lag in Chrome, so when I selected the second new Chrome profile to delete, it registered the position and deletion command, but then after wards it shift the icon positions around and then followed through with deleting my original Chrome profile which I have been using for years and has all my saved information in it.
And now everything appears to indicate this cannot be reversed.
I am not even sure I can find and restore all the information that was deleted, so this has likely done permanent harm to me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problems for me. Discouraging - holding up some important issues for me. Windows?
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/chrome/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic