Unwanted programs affecting Chrome? Try the Chrome Cleanup Tool!
If you notice Chrome behaving strangely (for example, showing you unusual startup pages, toolbars, or pop-up ads you can’t get rid of), it may be due to an unwanted program on your computer. You may be able to fix the problem by downloading and running the Chrome Cleanup Tool (previously know as the Software Removal Tool). Think of this as a “factory reset” of Chrome. It removes programs that affect Chrome's behavior and offer to restore its original settings.
The Chrome Cleanup Tool looks for programs known to cause trouble for Chrome. These programs aren't typical cases of malware, so your antivirus or security software may not pick them up. The Chrome Cleanup Tool does not scan for all types of computer viruses. We're continuing to keep the tool updated and adding more unwanted software to the list.
Setting up & using the Chrome Cleanup Tool
The Chrome Cleanup Tool scans your computer for programs known to cause problems with Chrome, and then offers to remove them for you. To start:
Visit the Chrome Cleanup Tool homepage.
Click the Download button.
The Chrome Cleanup Tool will download to your computer.
- Open the Chrome Cleanup Tool. It will immediately start searching your computer for suspicious programs.
- A message will tell you how many programs were found, if any.
- Click Remove suspicious programs. Wait until you see the message "Removal complete." Some open applications may be closed in the process.
- Click Continue to quit the tool. (If your computer needs to reboot, the button will say Restart.)
- Chrome will automatically reopen, asking you to reset your browser settings. Click Reset.
**The Chrome Cleanup Tool is Windows-only (all versions) and you need to have admin rights to use it. The Chrome Cleanup Tool only scans Chrome files on your device, not your whole system. For Mac's we suggest you do a system scan with some other third party malware scanner that is trusted (avast, malwarebytes, etc.). To learn more, please visit our Chrome Cleanup Tool help page.
Feel free to ask questions below in a new thread!!
This SRT is only for computer and not for android devices.
Some community members might have badges that indicate their identity or level of participation in a community.
Member levels indicate a user's level of participation in a forum. The greater the participation, the higher the level. Everyone starts at level 1 and can rise to level 10. These activities can increase your level in a forum:
- Post an answer.
- Having your answer selected as the best answer.
- Having your post rated as helpful.
- Vote up a post.
- Correctly mark a topic or post as abuse.
Having a post marked and removed as abuse will slow a user's advance in levels.
View profile in forum?
To view this member's profile, you need to leave the current Help page.
Report abuse in forum?
This comment originated in the Google Product Forum. To report abuse, you need to leave the current Help page.
Reply in forum?
This comment originated in the Google Product Forum. To reply, you need to leave the current Help page.