Problem with Chrome - have you tried these steps first?
Below is a list of the top troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve an issue you may be having with Google Chrome. Generally, the steps are in order of importance.
1. Check that you have the latest version of Chrome.
Go to the Chrome Menu (top right of the browser window) > Help and about > About Google Chrome and allow Chrome to update. If not, you can update Chrome manually by downloading it from http://google.com/chrome.
2. Check that you have the latest updates and recommended drivers for your computer. Instructions on how to do this depend on your operating system:
· 8/8.1/10: Press the Windows key + X and select Control Panel. Select Windows Update.
· 7: Select Start and type Update. Select Windows Update.
· Vista: Select Start > All Programs > Windows Update.
· XP: Visit the Windows Update website to download and install Windows updates.
In the left pane, click Check for updates. If any updates are found, click Install updates.
The Windows Update service is not the only way to install Windows updates. Updates to Windows can also be downloaded individually from Microsoft Download Center and then installed manually.
Mac OS X: Update software via the Mac App Store in OS X Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite or via the Software Update app in OS X Lion, Mac OS X v10.6, or earlier.
Linux: Instructions depend on your distribution of Linux.
In general though, you can run the following two commands in terminal:
· apt-get update
· apt-get upgrade
Chrome OS (Chromebook): You can check if updates are available at any time: Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears, select Settings and then click on Help on the left.
3. Try clearing your cache and cookies, to see if they are causing the issue. Go to the Chrome Menu > More Tools > Clear browsing data. In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for:
· Browsing history
· Download history
· Cookies and other site and plug-in data
· Cached images and files
· Hosted app data
Ensure that you select from the beginning of time from the drop-down at the top. You can also opt to clear saved passwords, saved auto-fill form data and content licenses if you believe these may be contributing to the issue.
4. Check that an extension or theme is not causing the issue. If you don’t have any extensions installed and have not installed a theme you can skip this step.
See if the issue still happens when you browse in Incognito mode. If not, that suggests one of your extensions is causing the issue -- temporarily disable your extensions to work out which one is causing the issue:
Click the Chrome menu icon on the browser toolbar
Select More Tools > Extensions
To turn off an extension, untick Enabled for that extension
Disable all of your extensions by deselecting the “Enable” checkbox next to them. Now re-enable them one by one. This will help you to identify if an extension is causing the issue.
If you find that an extension is causing an issue, please report it to the developer by clicking the Visit website link underneath the extension. This will take you to the Chrome Web Store page for the extension, where you can select the Details tab and click the Support icon to the right.
To reset your browser theme, go to the Chrome Menu > Settings. In the Appearance section, select Reset to default theme.
5. Certain issues may be caused by a corrupt browsing profile. Try creating a new one.
Note that if you previously signed in to Chrome, you can retrieve your bookmarks by simply signing in to Chrome again.
However if you had not previously signed in to Chrome, to transfer your old bookmarks, copy the "Bookmarks.bak" file from the "Backup default" folder to your new "Default" folder. Once moved, rename the file from "Bookmarks.bak" to "Bookmarks" to complete the migration.
6. Check that your computer has not been infected with a virus or malware. Instructions on how to do this depend on your operating system:
Windows: Download and install the Chrome Cleanup Tool. You can also try Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy. For particularly troublesome malware, the Malwarebytes forums are an excellent resource.
Important! Ensure that this is in addition to your standard anti-virus protection. Reputable solutions include MSE, AVG, avast! and if you want a paid product, Kaspersky and Bitdefender are the two highest-ranked solutions at AV-Comparatives, while, Norton, F-Secure, and G Data also get high marks from AV-Test.org.
For more security tips and resources, visit the Good to Know campaign.
These are a few useful resources for the most common issues. For more detailed information, visit the Chrome Help Center.
Learn about Google Chrome errors and crashes.
For Adobe Flash crashes, learn how to disable Chrome’s internal Flash installation.
For issues where webpages load slowly or don’t load at all.
Learn how to troubleshoot sync issues.
Resolve common download errors.
For issues with extensions you cannot remove.
For issues with Chrome on iOS, learn about known issues for Chrome on iOS.
If you have tried all the above steps and none have resolved your issue:
1. Search the forum for your issue - if you find a relevant thread that's already started, you can add your specific details and might even find an answer to your question!
2. Post a question - if you cannot find a relevant thread regarding your issue. Please ensure that you clearly explain your problem and give specific details to help us troubleshoot.
Hope this helps!
Have you tried removing the program from Add/Remove programs through Control Panel? You may also want to check your list of extensions in Chrome, by going to the Chrome menu (top right) > Tools > Extensions.
Can you check your home button settings by going to the Chrome menu > Settings > Appearance. Can you clarify that after ticking the checkbox for 'Show Home button', you've selected the Change link and 'Open this page' before entering the page you want for your homepage in the box to the right? (as shown below)
As for the 'limited list of topics' on the new tab page, can you attach a screenshot to help us troubleshoot?
- What do you mean by Chrome has disappeared?
- Assuming you use Windows, do you have a desktop shortcut for it, does it appear in your Start menu or in the list of programs in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel?
- Can you clarify "won't let me on the net" -- are there any error messages? Is this just happening in Chrome or in all browsers? Have you tried using Incognito mode?
- As for the colours on the emblem, I assume you're referring to the Chrome icon? Can you upload/attach a screenshot so we can better troubleshoot?
To the best of my knowledge, he did not and I realise that avcinci mentioned trying this above, but have either of you tried to resolve this issue with the following steps?
- If your synced data (bookmarks, apps, etc) is available on your local computer, sign in to your Google Dashboard.
- In the Chrome Sync section, click Stop and Clear. This step will remove the data from Google’s servers. The data on your local computer won’t be affected.
- Wait a few minutes before signing in to Chrome and re-enabling sync.
I assume you mean the Words With Friends app on Facebook? Unfortunately, if you've tried all of the above things, I'm pretty sure the issue is not related to Chrome but rather an issue with the app or Facebook. I'll direct you towards the Words With Friends support forum to better troubleshoot your issue: http://www.zyngaplayerforums.com/forumdisplay.php?782-Words-With-Friends.
Does this only occur in Chrome or in all browsers?
That is true. I've updated the plugins section to mention if applicable.
That is true. I've updated the plugins section to mention if applicable.
Some community members might have badges that indicate their identity or level of participation in a community.
Member levels indicate a user's level of participation in a forum. The greater the participation, the higher the level. Everyone starts at level 1 and can rise to level 10. These activities can increase your level in a forum:
- Post an answer.
- Having your answer selected as the best answer.
- Having your post rated as helpful.
- Vote up a post.
- Correctly mark a topic or post as abuse.
Having a post marked and removed as abuse will slow a user's advance in levels.
View profile in forum?
To view this member's profile, you need to leave the current Help page.
Report abuse in forum?
This comment originated in the Google Product Forum. To report abuse, you need to leave the current Help page.
Reply in forum?
This comment originated in the Google Product Forum. To reply, you need to leave the current Help page.