Download a file on Chrome
To save a file or image on your computer or device, download it. The file will be saved in your default download location.
Download a file
- Open Chrome and navigate to the webpage where you want to download the file.
- Right-click on the file and choose Save as…
- Choose where you want to save the file, then click Save.
- When the file done downloading, you'll see it at the bottom of your Chrome window. Click the file name to open it.
- [Optional] Next to the filename, click Download . Then click Show in folder to find it on your computer.
Pause or cancel a download
- At the bottom, find the downloading file you want to pause or cancel.
- Next to the file name at the bottom of your screen, click Download .
- Click Pause, Resume, or Cancel.
Download or delete executable (
You need to confirm certain kinds of files before they can run on your computer. This step helps keep your computer safe from malicious software.
- Begin downloading an executable file, like
- You'll be asked if you want to download the file.
- If you want to download, confirm by clicking Save at the bottom of the Chrome window.
- If you're not sure about the contents of the download, click Discard.
If the download link matches the list of malicious websites published by Google's Safe Browsing service, you’ll see a warning.
You can choose a location on your computer where downloads should be saved by default or pick a specific destination for each download.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
- Under the "Downloads" section, adjust your download settings:
- To change the default download location, click Change and select where you'd like your files to be saved.
- If you'd rather choose a specific location for each download, check the box next to "Ask where to save each file before downloading."
Default download locations
If you didn't change your default download location, then Google Chrome downloads files to the following locations:
- Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8:
Megan is a Google Chrome expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.