Download a file on Chrome
Depending on whether you’re using Chrome on a phone, tablet, or computer, there are different ways to download files, then find and view them.Computer
Download a file
- Open Chrome and navigate to the webpage where you want to download the file.
- Right-click on the file and choose Save as….
- Choose where you want to save the file, then click Save.
- When the file done downloading, you'll see it at the bottom of your Chrome window. Click the file name to open it.
- Optional: Next to the filename, click Download . Then click Show in folder to find it on your computer.
Pause or cancel a download
- In the bottom of your screen, find the downloading file you want to pause or cancel.
- Next to the file name at the bottom of your screen, click Download .
- Click Pause, Resume, or Cancel.
Download or delete executable (
You need to confirm certain kinds of files before they can run on your computer. This step helps keep your computer safe from malicious software.
- Begin downloading an executable file, like
- You'll be asked if you want to download the file.
- If you want to download, confirm by clicking Save at the bottom of the Chrome window.
- If you're not sure about the contents of the download, click Discard.
If the download link matches the list of malicious websites published by Google's Safe Browsing service, you’ll see a warning.
When you download something, you can find it through your Downloads app.
- Navigate to the webpage where you want to download the file.
- Touch and hold the item you want to download.
- In the menu that appears, touch Save link.
View downloaded files
- From a Home or All Apps screen, touch Downloads .
- To open an item, touch it.
- To view earlier downloads, touch headings.
- To share downloads, touch Share . Choose a sharing method from the list.
- To delete downloads, touch Trash .
- At the bottom of the screen, touch Sort by size or Sort by date to switch back and forth.
Delete a downloaded file on your phone (Android 5.0+)
- Open the Downloads app.
- Touch Internet downloads or Other downloads.
- Press and hold down on the file you want to delete.
- To remove it, touch Trash .
If you’re downloading a file format that works with Chrome, like an image or PDF, the file automatically opens when your download is done.
What happens when you download file types that don’t work with Chrome
- You will be directed to a screen where you can start the download.
- In-progress downloads may be canceled, although there is currently no Pause option.
- Once a download has finished, you will see an “Open In” option.
- You may can open the file in Google Drive or select another app installed on your iPhone to open the file.
Note: On iPhones and iPads, you can’t get a list of the files you’ve already downloaded.
Laura is a Google Chrome expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.