Browse in private with incognito mode
If you don’t want Google Chrome to save a record of what you visit and download, you can browse the web privately in incognito mode.
Incognito mode opens a new window where you can browse the Internet in private, without Chrome saving the sites that you visit. You can switch between an incognito window and any regular Chrome browsing windows that you have open. You'll only be in incognito mode when you're using the incognito window.
Others can see some information
Incognito mode only prevents Chrome from saving your site visit activity. It won't stop other sources from seeing what sites you’ve visited, including:
- Your Internet service provider
- Your employer (if you're using a work computer)
- The websites that you visit themselves
Downloads are saved to your computer
Chrome won’t save a record of the files that you download in incognito mode. However, the downloaded files will be saved to your computer’s Downloads folder, even after you close your incognito tabs. You and anyone who uses your computer can see and open the files.
Open an incognito window
You can open an incognito window on your computer to prevent Chrome from saving your browsing history. You can switch between an incognito window and any regular windows that you have open. You'll only be in incognito mode when you're using the incognito window.
- Open Chrome.
- At the top-right, click More New incognito Window.
- A new window will open. In the top-corner, tick for the grey incognito icon .
You can also use a keyboard shortcut to open an incognito window:
- Windows, Linux or Chrome OS: Press Ctrl + Shift + n.
- Mac: Press ⌘ + Shift + n.
Exit and turn off incognito mode
Incognito mode runs in a separate window from your normal Chrome browsing sessions. To exit incognito mode, you'll need to close all incognito windows.
- Go to your incognito window.
- In the corner of the window, click Close .
- Windows or Linux: See the top-right.
- Mac: See the top-left.
Megan is a Google Chrome expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.