Chrome automatically blocks harmful downloads that try to cause problems on your computer, like:
- Giving you viruses
- Leaking your private data
- Changing your browser and computer settings
- Adding unwanted extensions or toolbars to your browser
Why the download was blocked
Your file download may have been blocked for one of two reasons:
- We think it might be a malicious, unwanted, or uncommon file.
- Malicious: You tried downloading malware.
- Unwanted: You tried downloading a deceptive piece of software. This program, disguised as a helpful download, may actually make unexpected changes to your computer.
- Uncommon: You tried downloading an unfamiliar and potentially dangerous piece of software.
- We've found that the website you tried to download the file from has been known to distribute malware.
To help protect users, Google maintains a list of websites that are known to host malicious downloads and a list of trusted software publishers. If you're a software publisher and your binaries are flagged by Chrome, learn how to resolve malware or unwanted software issues related to your downloads.