Fix videos that won't play in Chrome
If a video on YouTube, Facebook, or other sites isn’t working on your Chrome browser—for example, it doesn't load, stays blank, or causes Chrome to freeze or crash—try the troubleshooting tips below.
Step 1: Update Chrome
You might need the latest version of Chrome to play your video. Learn how to update Chrome for your computer and mobile device.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
- Turn on Allowed (recommended).
- Go back to the site you were using, and click Reload .
Step 3: Reset your Internet connection
Your Internet network might be causing problems with video playback. Try resetting it:
- Turn off your computer or mobile device.
- Unplug your modem and your wireless router, if it’s a separate device.
- Wait for about one minute.
- Plug in your modem and wait until all the lights have stopped blinking.
- If you unplugged your router, plug it back in and wait until the lights have stopped blinking.
- Turn on your computer or mobile device and try playing your video.
Step 4: Check your extensions, plugins, cache, and cookies
Some video issues are caused by Chrome extensions, plugins, or something saved in your cache or browser data. Learn how to troubleshoot and fix the problem:Check extensions and plugins
To see if an extension is causing problems, try playing the video you're having trouble with in Incognito mode. Learn more about Incognito mode.
Check to see if the video will play in an Incognito window in Chrome. If it does play, you may need to clear your browsing data.
Note: Keep in mind that clearing your browsing data erases your settings for websites. Here are some examples:
- If you chose to have sites remember your username and password, they will be cleared from your browser's memory when you clear cache and cookies. You'll have to sign in to these sites again.
- Websites might load a little slower because all of the images and content pieces have to be loaded from scratch.
Megan is a Google Chrome expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.