Scan a Windows computer with the Chrome Cleanup Tool
The Chrome Cleanup Tool helps you find suspicious or unwanted programs and offers to remove them from your Windows computer. The tool works for all browsers, like Firefox or Edge.
Why did I see a prompt? If Chrome notices unusual behavior (crashes, new toolbars, unexpected ads, and more), it might suggest that you download the Chrome Cleanup Tool to help you get rid of unwanted software.
Remove unwanted programs using the tool
The Chrome Cleanup Tool works for all browsers.
Malware often lives on your computer, so it will show up on any browser you use. The Cleanup Tool removes programs that can affect Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, and others.
- On your Windows computer, visit the Chrome Cleanup Tool website.
- Click Download now.
- Read the terms of service, and click Accept and Download.
- When the file is downloaded, you'll see it at the bottom. Click the filename (
- Windows will ask if you want to run the file. Click Run.
- The Chrome Cleanup Tool will scan your computer. You'll see a list of any malicious software found.
- Click Remove suspicious programs.
- Chrome will open a new tab, and ask you to reset your settings. Click Reset.
If you use a Mac or Linux computer, see our suggestions for spotting and getting rid of unwanted software.
What malware the tool removes
The programs removed by the Chrome Cleanup Tool are targeted because we know they change your settings without your consent.
If you ran the Chrome Cleanup Tool and found a bad program that you couldn't remove, you can report it here.
- Price Meter
- Mail.ru Sputnik/Guard
- Conduit Toolbars, Community Alerts & ValueApps
- Shopper Pro
- Consumer Input
- Content Defender
- Movie Dea
Other ways to remove malware
Megan is a Google Chrome expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.