You can restore your browser settings in Chrome at any time. You might need to do this if apps or extensions you installed changed your settings without your knowledge. Your saved bookmarks and passwords won't be cleared or changed.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, select More Settings.
- Select Reset settings Restore settings to their original defaults Reset settings.
These steps won't provide a full reset. For example, some settings like fonts or accessibility won't be deleted. To create a new user profile, add a new user in Chrome.
What changes when you restore your settings
On your Chrome profile, the following settings will change to the default on all devices where you're signed in:
- Default search engine, which is changed back to Google. Learn how to set your default search engine.
- Homepage and tabs. Learn how to set your Chrome homepage and set default startup tabs.
- The new tab page. Learn how to set the page that a new tab opens to.
- Tabs you have pinned. Learn how to pin tabs.
- Content settings, like letting a site show you pop-ups or use your microphone. Learn how to change your content settings.
- Cookies and site data, like items in an online shopping cart. Learn more about cookies and site data.
- Extensions and themes. Learn more about extensions and themes.
Troubleshoot reset problems
If you're still having problems, you might have a program installed that is changing your Google Chrome settings. Learn more about programs that cause unwanted settings changes.
Sometimes, programs that you install can change your Chrome settings without you knowing. For your safety, the browser checks if your settings have been changed every time you launch Chrome. If Chrome notices that something’s not right in your settings, it will automatically go back to the original settings.
Settings that might automatically get reset:
- Default search engine
- Startup pages
- Pinned tabs
Chrome will still reset your settings if you’re not signed in to Chrome. If you’re signed in to Chrome, you’ll still see your usual settings.