Turn notifications on or off
You can choose whether to receive notifications from websites, apps, and extensions on your computer desktop. Notifications (for example, a Google Calendar reminder) alert you with a message and notification icon
Allow desktop notifications
You can let websites send you notifications automatically, or with your permission first. Follow the steps below to choose when website notifications show up on your desktop.
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- In the "Privacy" section, click Content settings.
- In the dialog that appears, scroll down to the "Notifications" section. Choose one of the following:
- Allow all sites to show desktop notifications: Let all sites automatically show you notifications.
- Ask when a site wants to show desktop notifications: Have Google Chrome alert you whenever a site wants to show you notifications. This is the default setting.
- Do not allow any site to show desktop notifications: Do not let any site show you notifications.
- Optional: Click Manage exceptions to block any sites, apps, and extensions that already have permission to send you notifications. Learn more about managing exceptions
Windows only: The Google Chrome notification icon may be hidden. If you don’t see your Chrome notifications, you can expand the notification area at the bottom-right of your screen.
Turn off individual notifications
You can tell an extension or app to stop sending you notifications. Here’s how to stop receiving notifications from an extension or app:Windows
- In your system tray, click the notification icon
- Click the gear icon .
- Uncheck any extension or app you do not want to receive notifications from.
- In the menu bar at the top of your screen, click the notification icon
- Click the gear icon
- Uncheck any extension or app you don’t want to receive notifications from.
Hide the notification icon
If you don’t want the notification icon to show up in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac), you can hide it. Here’s how to hide the notification icon:Windows
The icon will only appear when you have a new notification. You can make the notification icon go away by dismissing all notifications.
Windows 7 and 8
You can also hide the notification icon in the overflow area of your system tray. The icon will go away once you dismiss all notifications.
- On your taskbar, click the system tray (up arrow).
- Click Customize.
- Change the Google Chrome icon behavior to “Hide icon and notifications.”
Learn how to hide the notification icon using the Windows Vista Help Center.
- Click Chrome in your top menu bar.
- Select Hide Notifications Icon from the drop-down menu.
The icon will be hidden from your top menu bar. To bring it back, simply follow the steps above and uncheck "Hide Notifications Icon."