Allow unsandboxed plug-ins to directly access your computer
Through a feature called sandboxing, Chrome helps protect you by limiting how much access some plug-ins have to your system. However, some websites require plug-ins to have direct, unsandboxed access to do things like, stream purchased video or install additional software on your computer. In these cases, you might see a message indicating that a plug-in wants to access your computer. Learn more about Chrome sandboxing
In response to this request, you can take the following actions:
- Allow: This grants the plug-in permission to bypass Chrome's sandbox and directly access your computer. You should only allow access on sites that you fully trust.
- Deny: This keeps Chrome's sandbox intact and prevents the plug-in from directly accessing your computer.
Change plug-in access permissions
You can choose a different default permission setting and manage exceptions in Content settings.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- In the "Privacy" section, click Content settings.
- In the "Unsandboxed plug-in access" section, select one of the following:
- Allow all sites to use a plug-in to access your computer (not recommended). Select this option to let all unsandboxed plug-ins automatically access your computer.
- Ask when a site wants to use a plug-in to access your computer (recommended). Select this option if you want Chrome to ask you for permission whenever an unsandboxed plug-in requests access to your computer.
- Do not allow any sites to use a plug-in to access your computer. Select this option to automatically deny any unsandboxed plug-in requests to access your computer.
Click Manage exceptions to remove previously-granted permissions for specific sites.
Learn more about plug-ins
Using a Chrome device at work or school? Your network administrator may set plug-in access settings for you, in which case you can't change them here. Learn about using a managed Chrome device
Laura is a Google Chrome expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.