Spell check helps you review and correct your spelling on your devices. You can check for spelling errors on your computer when you enter text into input fields on the web.
When spell check is turned on, you can choose between “Basic” and “Enhanced” spell check.
Basic spell check
- Chrome or your operating system provides the spell check.
- It doesn’t send the text you enter in your browser to Google.
Enhanced spell check
- This spell check is used in Google Search.
- It sends the text you enter in your browser to Google for improved spelling suggestions.
- In some operating systems, you can update custom words in the spell check dictionary.
Turn Chrome spell check on and off
- Go to Settings.
- Click Advanced Languages.
- To the right of “Spell check,” turn it on or off.
Tip: Your device's spell check provider depends on your device’s operating system. If your device’s operating system is among the following, you can identify your spell check provider below:
- Windows 8 and newer: Windows
- Windows 7 and older: Chrome
- Mac: macOS
- Linux: Chrome
- Chrome OS: Chrome
- Android: Android’s Keyboard app
- iPhone and iPad: iOS