Are you receiving this error when updating Google Chrome? If so, see the update error article instead.
This error is most likely due to a problem with the Application folder on your computer during the installation process.
To resolve this issue, delete the Application folder, then try installing again. Follow these steps (for Windows):
- Go to the Start menu > Run.
- Enter one of the following commands in the text field, depending on your operating system.
- Windows XP:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome
- Windows Vista:
- Windows XP:
- Click OK.
- Delete the Application folder. If you're having difficulty deleting this folder, check for active Google Chrome processes on your computer and end them. Here are a few ways to locate and shut down these processes:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard and click Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and end every process that includes "google" or "chrome" in its name.
- Download a third-party program called Process Explorer at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx. Use its Find menu to search for "Chrome/Application," then end all resulting processes.
Now try deleting the Application folder again.
- Once the Application folder is deleted, try installing Google Chrome again.
Report additional problems
If you continue to experience this error, please give us more details.