Fix failed Chrome updates & update problems
If you're having problems updating Chrome on your computer, you may see:
- Update failed: Updates are disabled by administrator
- Update failed (Error: 3) An error occurred while checking for updates: Update server not available
- Update failed (Error: 4) An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start
- Update failed (Error: 7) An error occurred while checking for updates: Download failed
- Other errors that mention that "Update failed"
Try the possible fixes below.
Check for Malware
Unwanted software might have affected Chrome's ability to update. Learn how to fix the problem, depending on your computer:
Download and run the Chrome Cleanup Tool. It’s an app that searches your computer for suspicious programs and offers to remove them for you.
Remove bad software and other programs on your computer that you don't remember installing.
- In the lower left corner of your screen, open Finder.
- On the left side of the box that appears, click Applications.
- Look for any programs you don't recognize, then do one of the following:
- Double-click Uninstall or Uninstaller and follow the on-screen steps.
- If you don't see these options, drag the icon from the Applications folder into the Trash.
- Empty your trash when you're done.
Programs to remove
Here are some common programs that might change your settings and are known to cause problems.
- Price Meter
- Mail.ru Sputnik/Guard
- Conduit Toolbars, Community Alerts & ValueApps
- Shopper Pro
Reboot your computer
The update might have been stopped on your computer. Try rebooting your computer and updating Chrome again.
Download Chrome again
It's possible that some files are missing on your computer. To fix, uninstall Chrome. Make sure you meet the system requirements, then download Chrome again from google.com/chrome and try reinstalling.
If your computer doesn't let you to complete these steps, then you'll need to contact the person who has administrator rights to your computer to complete the Chrome update.
Still not working? Get more help on the Chrome Help Forum.
Laura is a Google Chrome expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.