Work, play, learn and create with apps
With apps for Google Chrome, you can do things like create documents, edit photos and listen to music. They’re like desktop software programs that you install on your computer. The main difference is that you use apps directly within your browser. If you use Gmail, Google Maps or sites like Pandora, you're already using apps.
Advantages of using apps
Apps have the following advantages over desktop software programs:
- Apps install in seconds. You don’t even have to restart your browser or computer to start using them.
- Your apps are always available. No matter what computer you’re using, you can always access your apps. Learn about syncing apps across multiple computers.
- Apps are always up to date. Because apps are hosted on the web, you don't have to worry about updating to the latest version.
- Apps won’t crash your computer. If you’re having trouble with an app, just close its tab in the browser. Your browser and computer won’t be affected.
Learn more about appsLearn how apps are different from regular websites
Other apps are websites designed specifically for Chrome, like The New York Times app. When you open this app, you'll see that it looks different from the New York Times website and offers features that you won’t find on the regular site.
Another kind of app works just like software programs on your desktop, relying on certain features of Chrome. These apps, like Google Keep, run outside of the Chrome browser window, similar to any other program on your computer.
You can use apps that are hosted online in any up-to-date, modern web browser. But by installing them in Chrome, you have the following advantages:
- Get app icons. When you install an app from the store in Google Chrome, its icon shows up in the app launcher so that you can easily find and open the app.
- Choose how an app should open. You can set an app always to open in a normal tab, in a pinned tab or in full-screen mode. To choose a setting, right-click the app icon on the New Tab page.
- Access your apps on any computer. Use Google Chrome's sync feature to save your apps to your Google Account. That way, you can see your list of apps no matter which computer you're using.