Planning your return to office strategy? See how Chrome OS can help.

/chrome/a/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Printer Driver for Canon Imagerunner ADV C7565?
When I go to the Workspace admin area to add a printer for my OU, the selection of printer drivers for Canon copier/printers is, according to Canon support, multiple generations old. Apparently, the second digit is the generation and the last two digits are the pages/minute. The closest I can get is C7065. So, that's five generations. I don't use driverless setup, btw. The issue is that my unit has an attached folder and stapler unit. The driver settings I see don't show these options. 

There are only two things holding me back from moving my entire organization over to chromebooks: awful Zoom support -- and, yes, I'm using the pwa -- and outdated printer support. The first one is mostly on Zoom, but the second one is primarily a Google issue. 

Any solutions or workarounds?
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (4)
Relevant Answer
Hi Thane,

Thanks for reaching out to the Chrome Enterprise Help Community!

Could you please let us know what Operating System are you running on your devices?

The drop-down menu in the Admin Console shows a list of printer drivers that are currently available and it appears that Canon iR-ADV C7565 is not available. You might want to consider using "Generic PCL 5 or 6" as an alternative, or driverless printer configuration as C7565 model supports driverless printing.

If you're thinking of switching to Chromebooks, there are a couple of different ways to configure a native printer to work in Chrome. If a PPD is not available, you can try driverless configuration or a generic PPD like "generic PCL 6" as a fallback option. For end users, if the printer supports IPP then you probably don't have to do anything. When a user plugs in the printer (or it's on the local network with mDNS available) Chrome will detect it, query it and download a compatible driver. See "Set up your printer" for additional ways an end user can configure a printer on their own: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7225252

Alternately, if you want to push printer configuration out from the admin console so that users have it preconfigured (which if the first option works you really don't *have* to do). If users are tech-averse or you have a complex printer environment that could prove desirable. See "Manage local and network printers" for all the ways you can configure printers remotely: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7276100

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Brad
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm talking about Chromebooks specifically. I understand that I need to download drivers from Canon for Macs and Windows units.

I am using the IPP connection type.

I was told that driverless mode would be even more basic than picking a driver. So I've not used it.

As for PCL generic, the issue I have is not with print quality, rather, it's that advanced features, such as paper folding, stapling, use the side feeder, etc. are not available. The Canon drivers do support these features since these services are connected devices to the main copier/printer. 

When you say that Chrome will automatically detect my printer, do you mean there are printer configurations that are not on the pull-down list? I'm assuming that what I'm seeing under Canon represent all the drivers that Google supports. For some reason, there are only the first two or three generations of drivers and Canon tech support says their units are now in their 5th or 6th generation. 

Thank you for your help.

Thane
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for reporting back, Thane!

Sounds like you have a Workspace Admin subscription. Please reach out to our Support Team to get 1:1 support regarding this. To contact support:

1. Using your Chrome or G Suite administrator account, sign in to your Google Account.
2. Open the Chrome Enterprise Help Center.
3. On any page in the help center, in the top corner, click Contact us.

See this support page for more: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/4594885

If you do have 1:1 support we recommend looking into upgrading to this option. If you do not already have a paid Enterprise support option, please consider purchasing Chrome Browser Enterprise Support, as your problem is unique, not easily solved or requires a new feature to be built. 

To contact sales for more please see: https://cloud.google.com/chrome-enterprise/browser-support

Best,
Brad
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am the admin for my organization's Workspace. I'll see what they say and then put in a feature request. My boss just told me they are going to renew the lease on this unit. 

T
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/chrome/a/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic