As an admin, you can reassign devices from one person to another in your organization. For example, you might want to reassign a device when an employee leaves or move a device from one student to another. When you reassign a device, you can remove all user profiles and data from the device but keep the device's enrollment state and device data, such as network profiles.
Reassign a device to another user
From the Admin console Home page, go to DevicesChrome.
- Click Devices.
- Click the serial number of the device that you want to reassign.
- On the left, click Reset.
- Choose an option:
- Clear user profiles—(Recommended) Removes all user profile data, but keeps device policy and enrollment.
- Factory reset—Removes all data including user profiles, device policies, and enrollment data. Devices are restored to factory state. If forced re-enrollment is turned off, users can use the device without re-enrolling it into your account.
- If needed, add the new user to your organization in the Google Admin console. For details, go to Add users individually.
- Instruct the new user to sign in to the device.
Note: If you choose to clear user profiles, the command stays valid for up to 180 days. This helps to ensure that user profiles are cleared, even if devices are temporarily offline or unavailable. If there is already an existing pending command, subsequent commands are queued for the device. Queued commands might include reboot, set volume, take screenshot, upload logs, and so on. If a command remains stuck in pending for too long, connect the affected devices to the internet and reboot them. If you continue to have issues with a stuck command, contact support.