Migrate from Cloud Print to native printing
Google Cloud Print, Google’s cloud-based printing solution that has been in beta since 2010, will no longer be supported as of December 31, 2020. Beginning January 1, 2021, devices across all operating systems will not be able to print using Cloud Print. We recommend that you find an alternative print solution and migrate your print services by the end of 2020. For devices running Chrome OS, we recommend native printing (CUPS). For other devices or multi-OS scenarios, we recommend the respective platform’s native-printing infrastructure or partnering with a print-solutions provider.
Consider native printing (CUPS) for Chrome devices
For Chrome devices, you can use your Google Admin console to set up CUPS for printing to local and network printers. When you add a printer, it automatically appears in your users’ list of printers and they can start printing without any further setup.
Current and upcoming native printing (CUPS) features
Currently or will be supported by the end of 2019
- Admin console interface to manage thousands of CUPS-based printers for users, devices, and managed guests by organizational unit (the legacy 20-printer cap has been removed)
- Admin console policy to manage user-printing defaults for 2-sided (duplex) and color printing
- Support for advanced printing attributes (stapling, paper trays, pin printing)
- Admin console policy to include user account and file name in IPP header of print job over a secure IPPS connection, which enables third-party printing features, such as secure printing and print-usage tracking
- Admin console policy to manage PIN-code printing, allowing users to enter a PIN when sending a print job and release the print job for printing when they enter a PIN on the printer
Available before the Google Cloud Print deprecation
- Support for external CUPS print servers, including authentication
- Policy to configure connections to external CUPS print servers
- APIs for third parties to access print job metadata, submit print jobs, and printer-management capabilities