For administrators who manage Chrome policies from the Google Admin console.
As a G Suite administrator, you can control who can save and synchronize Chrome Browser settings and data to their managed Google Account. Use your Admin console to turn Chrome sync on or off. Users who have sync turned on can synchronize their bookmarks, history, browser theme, and other settings to their managed Google Account and use them on multiple devices. Otherwise, they can only access information that's stored locally on devices.
- If your organization uses Android apps on Chrome devices, you need to turn on Chrome sync. If you don’t, Android app data doesn’t backup and restore properly.
- If you turn off Chrome sync, users can’t access the sync settings for their managed account. Consider letting them know. Restricting access might disrupt their work.
Control who can sync information
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsAdditional Google servicesGoogle Chrome Sync.
Note: If you have a G Suite for Education account, go to AppsG SuiteGoogle Chrome Sync.
- At the top right, click Edit Service.
- If you want to turn Chrome sync on or off for all users in your organization, select ON for everyone or OFF for everyone and click Save.
- If you want to turn Chrome sync on or off for users in a specific organization:
- On the left, select Settings for specific organizational units and select the organization.
- Select On or Off.
Initially, an organization inherits the settings of its parent.
- If the organization’s status is inherited, click Override.
- If the organization’s status is overridden, choose an option:
- To return an overridden setting to the value of its parent, click Inherit.
- To save the setting changes (even if the parent setting changes), click Save.
- If you turned on Chrome sync for users, tell them to sign in to their Chrome devices with their managed Google Account (ends in yourdomain.com) and choose what information is synced.