Turn Chrome Sync on or off for users
If you're an administrator of Google accounts for an organization, you can control who uses Chrome Sync from their account. Just turn the service on or off for those people in the Google Admin console. People who have Chrome Sync turned on can save and sync things like their history, bookmarks, and passwords, so they can get to them on any device by signing in with their Google account. If Chrome Sync is turned off, they can only access information that's stored locally on each device.
If you have enabled Android apps on Chrome OS in your organization and Chrome Sync is turned off, backup and restore of Android app data won't function properly on Chrome devices. To run Android apps on Chrome OS, it must be supported on the specific device model.
To control who uses Chrome Sync
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsAdditional Google servicesGoogle Chrome Sync.
At the top of the gray box, click More and choose:
- On for everyone to turn on the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- Off to turn off the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- On for some organizations to change the setting only for some users.
If you chose On for some organizations:
- Select the organization that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Click Override or Inherit, whichever appears.
Override makes the setting stay the same, even if the parent setting changes.
Inherit reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- If you clicked Override, click On or Off to change the setting.
- Click Apply twice to confirm.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Learn more about managing Chrome for business and education devices
- Find out how users can manage their own Chrome Sync settings
- Control who can access Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- G Suite for Education Core and Additional services