Turn Chrome Sync on or off for users
If you're an administrator of Google accounts for an organization, you can control who uses Chrome Sync from their account. Just turn the service on or off for those people in the Google Admin console. People who have Chrome Sync turned on can save and sync things like their history, bookmarks, and passwords, so they can get to them on any device by signing in with their Google account. If Chrome Sync is turned off, they can only access information that's stored locally on each device.
If you have enabled Android apps on Chrome OS in your organization and Chrome Sync is turned off, backup and restore of Android app data won't function properly on Chrome devices. To run Android apps on Chrome OS, it must be supported on the specific device model.
To control who uses Chrome Sync
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsAdditional Google services.
Note: If you have a G Suite for Education account, go to Apps G Suite.
- Click Google Chrome Sync.
At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service .
At the left, the top-level organization and any organizational units appear.
To apply settings to all organizations, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
To apply settings to individual organizational units, do the following:
- At the left, select the organizational unit that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Select On or Off to change the setting.
- Click Override to keep the setting the same, even if the parent setting changes.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Learn more about managing Chrome for business and education devices
- Find out how users can manage their own Chrome Sync settings
- Control who can access Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- G Suite for Education Core and Additional services