Auto Update policy
Android tablets for education and Chrome devices receive automatic updates regularly that enhance both the device itself and the software on the device. However, advances in hardware and technology eventually make devices out-of-date; and as time goes by, we cannot indefinitely ensure that older tablets will continue to support device setup or the ability to receive content from Google Play for Education or that older Chrome devices will receive updates to leverage new OS features.
This document provides advanced notice of the Auto Update policy for:
- Specific Google Play for Education approved tablets—Applicable to Android tablets for education customers
- Specific Google approved Chrome devices—Applicable to Chrome devices for business and education customers, Chrome devices for meetings customers, and consumer Chrome device users
Note that only the Chromebox (or Chrome device) is covered under the Auto Update policy; the peripherals for the Chrome devices for meetings solution are not covered.
- When a device reaches Auto Update Expiration (AUE), it means that the product model is considered obsolete and automatic software updates from Google are no longer guaranteed.
- Business and education customers using devices that have passed their AUE date will no longer receive full support1 from the Google Cloud and Google for Education teams.
- Business and education customers using devices that have passed their AUE date may find that they cannot manage their devices as expected using the Google Admin console or leverage new management features released.
- For Android tablets for education, the ability to receive content sent from Google Play for Education and a new user account through device setup is not guaranteed on models which have passed their AUE date.
- Google will provide advanced notice of a model’s AUE Date on this page as soon as it is launched, giving our customers time to make purchase decisions.
- AUE dates may be pushed later than the initial date published, but will never be sooner than listed, which will be at least 3 years from launch of the hardware for Android tablets for education and 6.5 years for Chrome devices from launch of the hardware platform (or in some legacy cases at least 5 years for Chrome devices from launch of the device itself).
- Android tablets for education models that have not reached their AUE date will continue to be able to be set up and receive content pushed from the Google Play for Education site, as well as be managed with the business and education management service.
- Chrome device models that have not reached their AUE date will continue to receive OS updates and function with the business and education management service.
- The End of Sale date is controlled by the OEM (manufacturer) of the device model and has no relation to model’s AUE date. Therefore, the End of Sale date will not be shown in the table.
|Manufacturer||OS||Product||Auto Update Expiration date (2)|
|Acer||Chrome||C7 Chromebook||Oct 2017|
|Acer||Chrome||C720 Chromebook||Nov 2018|
|Acer||Chrome||C740 Chromebook||Feb 2020|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebase 24||Apr 2021|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook 11 (C730)||Aug 2019|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook 11 (C735)||Jan 2021|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook 11 N7||Jan 2022|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook 13||Sep 2019|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook 15||Apr 2020|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook 15 CB3-531||Apr 2020|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebook R11||Dec 2020|
|Acer||Chrome||Chromebox CXI2||May 2020|
|Acer||Chrome||Sanance/Chromebook 14 (CB-431)||Mar 2021|
|AOpen||Chrome||Chromebase Commercial||Sep 2020|
|AOpen||Chrome||Chromebox Commercial||Sep 2020|
|Asus||Android||Nexus 7 (2012)||Jul 2015 (3)|
|Asus||Android||Nexus 7 (2013)||Jul 2017|
|Asus||Android||Transformer Pad (2014)||May 2017|
|Asus||Android||Transformer Pad (2015)||May 2018|
|Asus||Android||Memo Pad||May 2018|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebit CS10||Nov 2020|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebook C200||May 2019|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebook C201||May 2020|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebook C202SA||Feb 2021|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebook C300||Aug 2019|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebook C300SA||Apr 2021|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebook Flip C100PA||Jul 2020|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebox CN60||Mar 2019|
|Asus||Chrome||Chromebox CN62||Aug 2020|
|Bobicus||Chrome||Chromebook 11||Mar 2020|
|CDI||Chrome||eduGear Chromebook R||Mar 2020|
|CDI||Chrome||Edugear CMT Chromebook||Aug 2021|
|CTL||Chrome||Chromebook J2 / J4||Apr 2020|
|CTL||Chrome||N6 Education Chromebook||Mar 2020|
|CTL||Chrome||CTL J5 Chromebook||Aug 2021|
|CTL||Chrome||CTL NL61 Chromebook||Aug 2021|
|Dell||Android||Venue 10||May 2018|
|Dell||Chrome||Chromebook 11||Jan 2019|
|Dell||Chrome||Chromebook 11, Model 3120||Feb 2020|
|Dell||Chrome||Chromebook 13, Model 7310||Sep 2020|
|Edxis||Chrome||Education Chromebook||Mar 2020|
|Chrome||Cr-48||Dec 2015 (3)|
|Chrome||Chromebook Pixel||Apr 2018|
|Chrome||Chromebook Pixel (2015)||Mar 2020|
|Haier||Chrome||Chromebook 11||Apr 2020|
|Haier||Chrome||Chromebook 11e||Apr 2020|
|Haier||Chrome||Chromebook 11 G2||Sep 2020|
|HEXA||Chrome||Chromebook Pi||Mar 2020|
|HiSense||Chrome||Chromebook 11||Apr 2020|
|HP||Android||Slate 8 Pro||Apr 2016 (3)|
|HP||Android||Pro Slate 10||May 2018|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 11 G1||Oct 2018|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 11 G2||May 2019|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 11 G3||Oct 2019|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 11 G4/G4 EE||May 2020|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 11 G5||Jul 2021|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 13 G1||May 2021|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 14||Nov 2018|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 14 G3||Oct 2019|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebook 14 G4||Sep 2021|
|HP||Chrome||Chromebox G1||Jun 2019|
|HP||Chrome||Pavilion Chromebook 14||Feb 2018|
|Lenovo||Chrome||100S Chromebook||Sep 2020|
|Lenovo||Chrome||N20 Chromebook||May 2019|
|Lenovo||Chrome||N21 Chromebook||Mar 2020|
|Lenovo||Chrome||N22 Chromebook||Feb 2021|
|Lenovo||Chrome||ThinkCentre Chromebox||Jun 2020|
|Lenovo||Chrome||ThinkPad 11e Chromebook||Jun 2019|
|Lenovo||Chrome||ThinkPad 11e 3rd Gen Chromebook||Mar 2021|
|Lenovo||Chrome||ThinkPad 13||Jun 2021|
|Lenovo||Chrome||Thinkpad X131e Chromebook||Feb 2018|
|LG||Chrome||Chromebase 22CB25S||Jun 2020|
|PCMerge||Chrome||Chromebook PCM-116E/PCM-116EB||Apr 2020|
|PCMerge||Chrome||Chromebook PCM-116T-432B||Aug 2021|
|Samsung||Android||Galaxy Tab4 Education||Apr 2017|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook - XE303||Oct 2017|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook 2 11 - XE500C12||Oct 2019|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook 2 11"||May 2019|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook 2 13"||May 2019|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook 3||Dec 2020|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook Series 5||Jun 2016 (3)|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebook Series 5 550||May 2017|
|Samsung||Chrome||Chromebox Series 3||Mar 2018|
|Senkatel||Chrome||C1101 Chromebook||Mar 2020|
|Toshiba||Chrome||Chromebook 2||Sep 2019|
|Toshiba||Chrome||Chromebook 2 (2015 Edition)||Sep 2020|
2 Except where noted, these are unofficial Auto Update Expiration dates. Official AUE for these models will be at this date or later.
3 Officially announced Auto Update Expiration date.