Google Hangouts has been upgraded to Google Chat. Access to Hangouts on mobile and on the web is no longer available.
Use Google Chat to message a person or group:
- On Google Chat for web
- On the desktop app
- On the Android mobile app
- On the iOS mobile app
- In your Gmail account
Important: If you’re a Google Workspace administrator, learn how the switch from Google Hangouts to Google Chat affects your organization and users.
Learn about Hangouts data in Google Takeout
After July 19, 2023 (PST, GMT-7), Google Takeout no longer supports downloads of attachments sent from Hangouts. Any links to attachments sent to you will no longer work.
How to access your data in Google Chat
For most people, conversations are automatically migrated from Hangouts to Chat, so it’s easy to pick up where you left off. You can also search for those messages in Chat.
Brand Accounts in Hangouts
If you used Google Hangouts with a Brand Account, you can no longer use the Brand Account in Google Chat.
Learn about the additional functionality in Google Chat
Google Chat easily integrates across Google Workspace and provides a modern, feature-rich experience that includes:
- React to messages with emojis that feature skin-tone selections.
- Respond with Smart Replies.
- Format text with rich-text editing.
- Tag specific people with @mentions.
- Search for and share GIFs.
- Edit Docs, Slides, or Sheets with side-by-side editing to make it easier to collaborate while you continue a conversation.
- Use spaces, a dedicated place for topic-based collaboration.
- Start a video meeting or call in Chat using Google Meet.
- Google Chat supports blocking people across all Google.com services.
- If you previously blocked people in Google Hangouts through a third-party product, such as an XMPP client, these block settings won't carry over to Google Chat.
- If you previously blocked people through first-party Google settings, those block settings will carry over to Google Chat. Review your list of blocked people.