Google Hangouts is being upgraded to Google Chat at the end of 2022 for those who haven’t already upgraded. Some people may have already moved to Google Chat and may no longer be able to use Google Hangouts on some platforms.
For those who have not moved from Google Hangouts to Google Chat yet, we currently expect the following timing for the transition:
- Mid-year 2022
- Users will no longer have access to the Hangouts mobile app and can upgrade to Chat in Gmail or the Chat app.
- Users will no longer have access to the Hangouts Chrome extension on the web and can upgrade to Chat on the web or install the Chat web app.
- Hangouts on the web, including user conversations and history, will continue to be available.
- Late 2022
Important: As part of the migration of conversations from Hangouts to Google Chat, some conversations or portions of conversations won’t automatically migrate from Hangouts to Chat. We will email impacted users with more information around September 2022.
Starting November 1, 2022, Hangouts on the web will no longer be available. If you wish to keep your Hangouts data, we strongly encourage you to use Google Takeout and download a copy before January 1, 2023, when Hangouts data will be deleted.
Here’s how to download your Google Hangouts data:
- Go to Google Takeout and sign in with the Google Account you use in Hangouts.
- In the available applications, select Hangouts and deselect the rest.
- Click Next Step.
- In the Delivery method, choose how often you want to download the backup. Since Hangouts is being upgraded to Google Chat soon, we recommend a one-time download.
- Choose the file type.
- Click Export.
- A message tells you that Google is creating a copy of files from Hangouts. You will receive an email when the takeout process is complete. Download the file to preserve your Hangouts data.
For more general information about how Google Takeout works, go to How to download Google data.
Important: After all Hangouts users are upgraded to Google Chat, Hangouts data will no longer be available in Gmail. However, photos and videos shared in Hangouts will continue to be available in Google Album Archive.
How to access your data in Google Chat
For most people, conversations are automatically migrated from Hangouts to Chat, so it’s easy to pick up where you left off. You can also search for those messages in Chat.
Brand Accounts in Hangouts
Since August 4, 2021, new Brand Accounts can only be linked to YouTube channels and have been designated with "(limited to YouTube)". Users who used Google Hangouts with Brand Accounts created before August 4, 2021 will no longer have access to their Hangouts data starting November 1, 2022.
If you wish to keep your Hangouts conversations, we strongly encourage you to use Google Takeout and download a copy before January 1, 2023, following the instructions above. Hangouts data will be deleted starting January 1, 2023.
Learn how Google Chat & Google Hangouts work together until the upgrade
You can send messages between Google Chat and Google Hangouts. The sync between Chat and Hangouts is set up such that if Hangouts data is deleted, the corresponding Chat data is also deleted. Only delete data in Chat or Hangouts if you want the data deleted from both.
If you use Chat at work or school, new spaces created in Chat are not guaranteed to appear in Hangouts.
Determine whether you use Google Hangouts or Google Chat
- If this logo appears, you use Google Hangouts.
- While we encourage everyone to make the switch to Chat, Hangouts on the web will continue to be available until November 1, 2022. User conversations and history will also be available during this time. We will provide at least 30 days notice through the in-product banner before we start to redirect Hangouts on the web to Chat on the web.
- If you use Google Chat at work or school, new spaces created in Chat may no longer appear in Hangouts.
Learn about the additional functionality in Google Chat
Google Chat easily integrates across Google Workspace and provides a modern, feature-rich experience that includes:
- React to messages with emojis that feature skin-tone selections.
- Respond with Smart Replies.
- Format text with rich-text editing.
- Tag specific people with @mentions.
- Search for and share GIFs.
Learn about the differences between Google Chat & Google Hangouts
Google Chat and Google Hangouts don’t have identical features. The table below shows some differences.
|Feature||Google Chat||Google Hangouts|
|PWA desktop app||
AvailableSome people who have already migrated to Google Chat may not be able to use the Hangouts Chrome extension.
|Customize notifications sounds||
AvailableCustomize your notifications.
AvailableUse dark mode.
|Edit or delete sent messages||
Available depending on the type of account you use with Google Chat.Edit or delete a message.
|Emoji reactions to messages||Available||Not available|
Available depending on the type of account you use with Google Chat.Add formatting to your Google Chat messages.
Send multiple photos in one message
Available in the following weeks.
Available depending on the type of account that you use with Google Chat.Start a new conversation thread in Google Chat.
|Video call ringing||
Video call ringing in Chat is currently only available in the Chat tab of the Gmail mobile app. It will also be available through the Chat app in the coming months.
To start a meeting from a computer, you can drop a Google Meet chip into a conversation.
AvailableStart a video call.
- The Google Hangouts app on Android or iOS is no longer available.
- Video call ringing is currently only available in the Gmail mobile app. It will be available through the Google Chat app in the later part of 2022. Learn how to start a video meeting in Google Chat.
- Google Chat supports blocking people across all Google.com services.
- If you previously blocked people in Google Hangouts through a third-party product, such as an XMPP client, these block settings won't carry over to Google Chat.
- If you previously blocked people through first-party Google settings, those block settings will carry over to Google Chat. Review your list of blocked people.