Google Hangouts has been upgraded to Google Chat. Access to Hangouts on mobile and on the web is no longer available.
Use Google Chat to message a person or group:
- On Google Chat for web
- On the desktop app
- On the Android mobile app
- On the iOS mobile app
- In your Gmail account
Important: If you’re a Google Workspace administrator, learn how the switch from Google Hangouts to Google Chat affects your organization and users.
Keep your Google Hangouts data with Google Takeout
To keep a copy of your Hangouts data, we encourage you to use Google Takeout before January 1, 2023 (PST, GMT-7), when Hangouts data deletion will be initiated.
- Google Hangouts data won’t be available in Hangouts or Gmail after January 1, 2023 (PST, GMT-7).
- Attachments sent in Hangouts are available using Google Takeout and in Google Album Archive.
- Attachments received in Hangouts are only available as Google Album Archive links in Google Takeout.
- After January 1, 2023 (PST, GMT-7), the option to download Hangouts data using Google Takeout will no longer be available.
- Go to Google Takeout and sign in with the Google Account you used in Hangouts.
- In the available applications, select Hangouts and deselect the rest.
- Click Next Step.
- Choose how often you want to download the backup.
Tip: Since Hangouts is no longer available, we recommend a one-time download of your Hangouts data.
- Choose the file type.
- Click Export.
- A message tells you that Google is creating a copy of files from Hangouts. You will receive an email when the takeout process is complete. Download the file to keep your Hangouts data.
For more general information about how Google Takeout works, go to How to download Google data.
How to access your data in Google Chat
For most people, conversations are automatically migrated from Hangouts to Chat, so it’s easy to pick up where you left off. You can also search for those messages in Chat.
Brand Accounts in Hangouts
If you used Google Hangouts with a Brand Account, you can no longer use the Brand Account in Google Chat.
To keep a copy of your Hangouts data, we encourage you to follow the instructions above and use Google Takeout before January 1, 2023 (PST, GMT-7), when Hangouts data deletion will be initiated.
Learn about the additional functionality in Google Chat
Google Chat easily integrates across Google Workspace and provides a modern, feature-rich experience that includes:
- React to messages with emojis that feature skin-tone selections.
- Respond with Smart Replies.
- Format text with rich-text editing.
- Tag specific people with @mentions.
- Search for and share GIFs.
- Edit Docs, Slides, or Sheets with side-by-side editing to make it easier to collaborate while you continue a conversation.
- Use spaces, a dedicated place for topic-based collaboration.
- Start a video meeting or call in Chat using Google Meet.
- Google Chat supports blocking people across all Google.com services.
- If you previously blocked people in Google Hangouts through a third-party product, such as an XMPP client, these block settings won't carry over to Google Chat.
- If you previously blocked people through first-party Google settings, those block settings will carry over to Google Chat. Review your list of blocked people.