You can search all of your messages in Google Chat. Or, you can search for messages that include specific people or certain types of content, such as images.
Search for messages in Google Chat and Gmail
- Sign in to Chat.
- At the top, click Search .
- On the left, select a room or click All rooms and direct messages.
- In the search box, enter search text.
- (Optional) To narrow your search, click people and content types (such as images or videos).
- Click Go to thread to open the result.
Search for Chat messages in a room or conversation
- Sign in to Gmail.
- In the search box at the top, enter search terms and press Enter.
- Under the search box, click Chat.
- (Optional) To refine your search, click the search filters below the search box. You can use as many filters and operators as you want.
- Click the result to open the chat in Gmail.
Note: If you have older messages in classic Hangouts that match the search, at the bottom, click View in the notification message.