You can search all of your messages in Google Chat. Or, you can search for messages that include specific people or certain types of content, such as images.
- You can find the “Messages” and “Spaces” tabs in Gmail if you have Chat in Gmail enabled.
- You can only search for chat messages in conversations you've already joined
As you type in the Chat search bar, suggestions based on your past search history may appear. You can select a suggested search result to find messages.
Keep in mind:
- Suggestions are only available on Android.
- Suggestions are stored for 90 days.
- Search history for suggestions isn’t shared between Chat and Chat in Gmail.
- You can delete any recent searches, and delete all search history for chat and spaces.
Search for Chat messages in conversations you've already joined
Search for Chat messages in a space or conversation
Add filters when you search for Chat messages
- Go to your Gmail account.
- On the left, select Chat or Spaces.
- Enter search text. As you enter text, filters appear below.
- Select a filter to find the following types of messages:
- From: Messages sent from specific people.
- Said in: Messages said in a specific conversation or space.
- Date: Messages sent during a specific date range.
- Has file: Messages that include documents, spreadsheets, slides, and more.
- Has link: Messages that include links.
- Mentions me: Messages that mention you.
- To open a result, click it.