To reply to a message in Google Chat, you can enter text or select a suggestion if available. You might get suggestions based on the content of the message that you received.
Reply to a chat message
Tip: If you're in a space grouped by topic, do not enter your reply by clicking "New topic". If you do, it creates a new conversation topic instead of a reply. If you're in a space with in-line threading, learn how to reply in a thread.
Turn off suggestions in Chat
- To add a person to the conversation or mention them: Type , then enter a name.
- To add emojis to your message: Click Emoji .
- To share files from your device: Click Upload file .
- Everyone in a space can find shared files.
- To share files from Google Drive: Click Add Google Drive file .
- Everyone in a space can find shared Drive files.
- To start a video call: Click Add video meeting .
- To schedule a calendar meeting: Click Calendar .
- To send a GIF: Click GIF .
- To add formatting to text: Click Format .