You can add people and bots to a room in Google Chat by adding them to the member list. You can quickly add a person to a room by sending a message in a room with an @mention for the new person.
Add people or bots to a room
- Sign in to Chat or Gmail.
- At the left, select a room.
- At the top, click the room nameAdd people and bots.
- Enter a name, group or email address or select from the suggestions.
If you have Directory turned on, suggestions include everyone in your organisation, even if they don't have Chat.
If the room allows external participants, you must enter the full email address for each external person. You can't add a group in Google Groups that was created by an external organisation.
- (Optional) To skip sending notifications to the people that you add, untick the Notify people via email box.
- Click Send or Add.
View members of a room
Remove members from a room
You can remove members from a room that you have created. If you remove someone, they can no longer participate in the room or view its conversation history.
If the person was added to the room as part of a group in Google Groups, you need to remove them from the group first and then remove them from the room. Or, you can remove the entire group from the room.
If you @mention someone in a conversation, for example, @cassy, they're immediately added to the room. They can join the discussion, view the room in their room list, and receive notifications for the room.
Rooms can have external participants, but only if the creator ticks the option to allow this when the room is created. External rooms can't be changed to internal rooms later and vice versa.
External participants must have a G Suite account from another organisation or a personal Google Account (usually ending in @gmail.com).
External users are always invited to the room instead of being added directly. They can find and join the room in two ways:
- When you add an external person to the member list, they get an email notification (unless you untick that option).
- If you invite an external person with an @mention, they don't get an email notification. They'll see that they've been invited only when they join the room.
In a room, people outside of your organisation have a badge that marks them as external.
Inviting a group
You can invite a group to a room by adding a Google Groups email address to the member list. When you invite a group, each member can join and leave the room individually. Group members can preview the room before deciding to join.
Invitations to groups of 100 or fewer people get sent immediately. If you invite more than 100 people, email invitations are not sent. Users who don't get an email invitation can still join the room.
- If a person joins a room from a group invitation and is later removed from the group, they’re not automatically removed from the room.
- You can't invite groups owned by an external organisation.
- If you send invitations to groups of more than 1,000 people, it can take up to 24 hours for group members to see the new group when they try to join the room.
Create public rooms
To create a room that everyone in your organisation can find, your G Suite administrators can create an organisation-wide group. For example, administrators can add a group named email@example.com to a Chat room.